A double Fluffy Butt entry from me today. This is Tack the hen I've been looking for.
I've found her nest...well, I know where it is within two square metres. My problem is extracting her without trapping her and possibly causing an injury. More later.
Tack left her nest at 8am. She diidn't go back to it until 1pm.:rolleyes:
View attachment 2289740View attachment 2289741View attachment 2289742View attachment 2289743

I lost her at one point. That's her up a tree.View attachment 2289744
I can imagine Tack watching and waiting, watching and waiting... At last you turn your gaze away and she's off! To the nest!! Zoom zoom nestle nestle

The vet said she had come to us with an infection throughout her reproductive tract and that it was extensive. She said there was really nothing we could have done, but even so I really felt bad letting her down that way. 😭 She was older. And I could see from the time I laid eyes on her despite a lack of training that something must be wrong. But I felt at least we could maybe make her comfortable. But we couldn’t.
I also lost a hen to a uterine infection earlier this year. Her name was Sandy.

I blame myself because I didn't get her a hysterectomy while she was healthy enough to recover from it. But the vet kindly blames economic pressures for forcing people to breed hens that lay fast and die young.

View attachment 2290579
[/QUOTE]

Aww, Sandy. :hugs Maybe she and Chickie have found each other in the great chicken run in the sky. :fl Libby too.

I respect all that :) No judgment, i was trying to think/offer suggestions of a way to "Child Proof " the environment without limiting freedoms. It's sad to hear of anyone's losses but that's a risk we all take raising "Prey". I think you have a great setup and your flock is lucky to live with you. My flock is jealous of the freedom your flock has. Another thought I had was a "Floating Island" where they could make emergency landings. :frow
I had a critter "ladder" for them and others to be able to crawl out. The problem is that no one ever winds up there. They wind up in the pool in other locations too far from the "ladder".

Please don't think I was being defensive or was upset. Everytime something happens I go through this self examination. Am I doing what's best for everyone? That response of mine tends to be the end result.

As with all life it is a balance of risk. My poor hens have more risk because of the pool. I hope I am making up for putting them at that risk by the other things I do. If I ever thought that it was a net-negative for them, I would rehome them. It may be self delusion but I think on the whole, this is a pretty good place to be chicken.

The vet said she had come to us with an infection throughout her reproductive tract and that it was extensive. She said there was really nothing we could have done, but even so I really felt bad letting her down that way. 😭 She was older. And I could see from the time I laid eyes on her despite a lack of training that something must be wrong. But I felt at least we could maybe make her comfortable. But we couldn’t.
I'm so sorry. Thank you for at least trying. :hugs :hugs

Last edited:
I also lost a hen to a uterine infection earlier this year. Her name was Sandy.

I blame myself because I didn't get her a hysterectomy while she was healthy enough to recover from it. But the vet kindly blames economic pressures for forcing people to breed hens that lay fast and die young.

View attachment 2290579
That picture will forever touch my heart. So sad. 😥
What a wonderful lady she was. :love :love

Last edited:
Thanks Ribh. I tried my best but I didn't have enough knowledge.
I was in the same place when Trisha was egg bound. I could not help her. Maybe if I had known of BYC and @Kris5902 I could have saved her. I did not and there was nothing I could do. Unfortunately sometimes we learn through experience.

I will say this, they were each better off with you and me than anyone I grew up with where their lives would have ended instantly. At least we tried. :hugs

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom