Oh, Bob... so glad Hatties prolapse was minor and all is still well with her yes? I have so much to catch up on... hopefully in October I will be back more often. Second floor is scheduled for this weekend, I saw a baby mink today under my wall panels and far too close to my chooks for comfort. I suggest you hit up the “family planning” aisle for some water based personal lubricant (not the novelty warming, tingling or cooling stuff) if your planning on sticking fingers in places your chickens are not ok with! Cleaner and easier than vaseline IMO. Better to have it on hand and not need it than need it and not have it. Poor Hattie. I do hope she has forgiven you.

I would kill them. Traps I think. Bait if I could be certain only the rats would get it. I would not stand for that.
Yes, I want to kill some rats. I don’t think any creature should suffer, so I might grt some of those electric ones that zap them quickly. I just have to be sure other wildlife (birds) can get in.

I think it is OK to call the Alfa Spider Veloce cute. It's not a muscle car. It's a small convertible.

You opened the door for me to tell a story and I never turn those down. 😉

I never intended to own an Italian sports car, well I did dream of owning a Ferrari as a young lad, but that is another story.

I came across this car back when my youngest was getting ready to turn 16 and we started looking for a used car for her. We were looking in the newspaper one Sunday (remember when you used a newspaper to find a car?) and I came across an ad for a 1985 Alfa. I had not seen one in forever at that point. I said to my daughter, let's go check this out. I just want to see it. It's probably a pile dust and barely runs.

So we spoke up at this guy's house. He has a 1 car garage and the Alfa is sitting in the driveway in front of the door. It looked great. There was a little rust behind 1 wheel but otherwise spotless. I get in the car to take it for a test ride and the driver's side window crank is a pair of vice grips but aside from that the car is pretty put together. The seats aren't cracked, the roof is perfect. I'm starting to think that it must have engine or transmission issues.

It's time for the test drive and she fires right up. Sounds good. I run her up onto the highway and she flies. Shifts beautifully. What a dream to drive. I am quickly falling in love and when we pull back in to the driveway I'm trying to figure out how much cash I can free up and still get my daughter a car!

So I start chatting him up trying to figure how bad he wants to sell the car when his wife pulls up in minivan. She is obviously pregnant, goes around the side of the van, gets another child out of the car seat, grabs two bags of groceries, and heads into the house. So I'm thinking they need a second car and a place to put it. I might be able to get this guy down to where I can accomplish a toy for me and a car for my daughter.

His wife then opens the front door and delivers the car into my hands by screaming at him "YOU SELL THAT PIECE OF S$%T CAR YET?"

His head dropped and I pulled out my checkbook. I wrote him a check for $3,000 and drove off with the car.

I've had it 16 years now and it is a joy to drive when it runs. I've been chasing problems on her for 2 years now but I may finally have the upper hand after the way she ran today!
Fantastic story!

Oh, Bob... so glad Hatties prolapse was minor and all is still well with her yes? I have so much to catch up on... hopefully in October I will be back more often. Second floor is scheduled for this weekend, I saw a baby mink today under my wall panels and far too close to my chooks for comfort. I suggest you hit up the “family planning” aisle for some water based personal lubricant (not the novelty warming, tingling or cooling stuff) if your planning on sticking fingers in places your chickens are not ok with! Cleaner and easier than vaseline IMO. Better to have it on hand and not need it than need it and not have it. Poor Hattie. I do hope she has forgiven you.
Great to hear from you Kris and to hear that there is progress on the house. Hoping all goes well and smoothly for you and I look forward to October! 💕

She has not really forgiven me yet. She used to let me pet her, one of the few that would. I still can't do that. Now that she is in fill molt I wouldn't anyway though. I've got time. Aside from molting she seems fine. No egg since then but that is not surprising,.

A baby mink is definitely a little scary. I will be interested to hear what you do about it.

I'm so excited that the second floor is going up.

You are missed and I look forward to you coming back. :hugs :hugs:hugs

I thought all Leghorns were white, like all RIR are well...red. Shows how much I have still to learn. 🤗
There is more chicken knowledge in this world than we will ever truly know. I am always learning something new. That is one of the things which makes them so amazing. 🤓

More on the Rally Race Yesterday

First let me say I am surprisingly sore this morning. That was a lot of shifting and muscling the car around.

This was a road rally with the course set by, somewhat cryptic at times, written directions. No GPS allowed. For example go 3.7 miles, turn left, go 5.8 miles, turn right at the firehouse. My navigator led me astray twice. We had to backtrack twice adding an extra 15 miles to the 45 mile course. Despite this I passed three competitors at various times and we did not finish last although just finishing was a huge victory for us.

It was a timed rally with a staggered start. It was open to anyone but we went as an alpha club. So I was competing with these cars

20200921_075948.jpg

And these cars (and there were several of them)
20200920_124731.jpg

Here is the car and my navigator post check-in, in race trim.

20200921_080013.jpg

After a successful race, the team deserves a good meal. I treated Mrs BY Bob to a fancy meal and a glass of wine outside.

20200920_174345.jpg

I think that you will find this kind of cool. I mounted my phone on the windshield and recorded a portion of the race. You can ride along as I wind my way through two sections of the course.

It was quite late when we finally got back home but her she is back in the driveway a long hard day behind her.
20200921_081816.jpg

It was so much fun to get out and away from the house like this. A good time was had by all.

Back
Top Bottom