You can do it! :ya:ya:ya (This is me cheering you on @micstrachan )

I hope you took a "before" picture. :fl
Thanks! No before picture, sadly. However, DH offered up his circular saw and that thing kicks serious booty! It will help with breaking down the logs. Today my right forearm is super sore from yesterday’s yard work (overdid it) and left shoulder is sore from tetanus shot. As much as I want this done, I may take it easy today.

I pieced mine together from multiple sources. I believe that the Araucana is the Chilean hen that is mentioned in yours. As for the crest, I could not find a source. My guess is it is a partial expression of the beard and muff somehow but that is truly a guess.
Apparently the Chilean hen was crested AND laid blue eggs. Do you find it odd that the breeding history is not more clearly spelled out somewhere? It looks like Araucanas are indeed from Chile. I also found that British Araucanas are crested. Who knew you could entertain yourself for so long learning about just one chicken breed! These little beauties are proving to be super interesting!

Apparently the Chilean hen was crested AND laid blue eggs. Do you find it odd that the breeding history is not more clearly spelled out somewhere? It looks like Araucanas are indeed from Chile. I also found that British Araucanas are crested. Who knew you could entertain yourself for so long learning about just one chicken breed! These little beauties are proving to be super interesting!
As a thank you offering for all the research you and @BY Bob have been doing into Legbars, I offer up some pictures of the young ladies.
Minnie looking quite grown-up with her red comb and blue ear tufts, Dotty looking a tad deranged and trying to put her fluffy butt in order. And both of them settling down to watch for bugs. Dotty has always been bigger and more developed but Minnie is definitely ahead in terms of comb and wattle development. I looked up pictures of Cream Legbars and they both have the pink chest that suggests they are both pullets in spite of Minnie’s precociousness.

B3BFAECB-11C2-4E2D-AF20-6C9A6925490C.jpeg
A87D0F20-EDC3-4652-A54F-99129B94EB2D.jpeg
E53C820B-7A90-4463-909F-756544B9FF30.jpeg
E11131AA-2E13-4530-92DC-F94EDBE355EF.jpeg

@Aussie-Chookmum & I both have Aracaunas with sort of crests. My girl's is rather small & our birds are significantly different to American Aracaunas. They aren't rumpless for starters. :lol: My 2nd girl has beard & small muffs but no crest. There seems to be quite a bit of diversity from whatever the original bird was like.

As a thank you offering for all the research you and @BY Bob have been doing into Legbars, I offer up some pictures of the young ladies.
Minnie looking quite grown-up with her red comb and blue ear tufts, Dotty looking a tad deranged and trying to put her fluffy butt in order. And both of them settling down to watch for bugs. Dotty has always been bigger and more developed but Minnie is definitely ahead in terms of comb and wattle development. I looked up pictures of Cream Legbars and they both have the pink chest that suggests they are both pullets in spite of Minnie’s precociousness.

View attachment 2350593View attachment 2350594View attachment 2350595View attachment 2350596

They’re so gorgeous RC! :love

So sorry to hear about all this. I'm over here hoping for the best possible outcome.

We are in a similar situation. I think our chickens are about the same age, and mine are hybrid production birds. This is Mrs. Howell off in a corner by herself trying to deal with a stuck egg...again.

View attachment 2349769

This is a constant thing with seemingly at least one of the three having problems on any given day. I used to rush out and try to help them along --I've become quite the proctologist-- but it became such a burdensome and traumatic thing for both the chickens and me, that I've had to just back off and let things happen as they will. So far they have all managed to deliver the problem eggs eventually. It's always a soft-shelled, or no-shelled mess, which they then instantly devour.

Oh well, live and learn, I guess. This is our first flock and I will be wiser and more informed in the future. I share your anger.
It's such a sad situation.
Post after post, many new keepers, say they've just got this or that from a hatchery and they've fallen in love with them. Nobody it seems wants to tell them the poor creatures are likely to get sick and die inside three years.

I think so, but it is possible I am biased. I think they are very pretty, but it is their antics that I love the most. Honestly I could watch them all day and they make me laugh out loud all the time.
These might just have to go on my short list of birds to consider from what's available. They really are lovely!

Back
Top Bottom