What did this?

I mentioned yesterday that there had been an incident which is keeping the ladies in there run. Maybe you can all help me to figure this out.

Here is everyone enjoying quality time together as a family.
Big Run_20200929_74052.jpg

Timing: this all takes place during the afternoon while the flock is free ranging.

When collecting eggs the other day there had been another smashed one. I removed the remains from the box when I gathered the other eggs. This does limit my egg smasher to be one of the three that have been laying, Aurora, Sydney, or Sansa. It's not Hattie (sorry for blaming you sweetie).

Well, having discarded the remains, I collected the eggs and went back in the house figuring I would deal with cleaning up the nest later. Aurora and Hattie took care of the remains for me.

This is what I found when I came back later to clean up.

20200925_144027.jpg

Something was missing. The green ceramic egg was missing. At first I thought they had kicked it into the main coop, but it was not there. It was nowhere to be found.

I eventually found it under the magnolia tree! :eek:
20200929_080056.jpg

Some how the egg moved from the nest box to the magnolia tree during the day. This is the distance it traveled.

20200929_085430.jpg

Now my chickens do not wear pants, so no pockets, they don't have purses or backpacks, so I think I can rule them out. They have no way to carry the egg.

What would enter the coop during the day and try to make off with an egg? What should I be watching for?

Most egg thieves work at night, like skunks. What could it be?

Whatever it was had to be very disappointed. The ceramic egg was not edible. So there is that. Perhaps that will discourage a return visit. Well that and a locked up coop and run.

What did this?

I mentioned yesterday that there had been an incident which is keeping the ladies in there run. Maybe you can all help me to figure this out.

View attachment 2352854

Timing: this all takes place during the afternoon while the flock is free ranging.

When collecting eggs the other day there had been another smashed one. I removed the remains from the box when I gathered the other eggs. This does limit my egg smasher to be one of the three that have been laying, Aurora, Sydney, or Sansa. It's not Hattie (sorry for blaming you sweetie).

Well, having discarded the remains, I collected the eggs and went back in the house figuring I would deal with cleaning up the nest later. Aurora and Hattie took care of the remains for me.

View attachment 2352858

Something was missing. The green ceramic egg was missing. At first I thought they had kicked it into the main coop, but it was not there. It was nowhere to be found.

View attachment 2352876

Some how the egg moved from the nest box to the magnolia tree during the day. This is the distance it traveled.

View attachment 2352878

Now my chickens do not wear pants, so no pockets, they don't have purses or backpacks, so I think I can rule them out. They have no way to carry the egg.

What would enter the coop during the day and try to make off with an egg? What should I be watching for?

Whatever it was had to be very disappointed. The ceramic egg was not edible. So there is that. Perhaps that will discourage a return visit. Well that and a locked up coop and run.
Mr. Squirrel?

Interesting thought. I don't think of squirrels as egg eaters. Do you know if they do?
I don't think it is their preferred meal but I believe they will if hungry. But they certainly do roll large items a fair distance (that is what they did with my peaches which were bigger than your ceramic egg). So you may have a dumb squirrel who thought it was a large acorn, or a hungry (and now hungrier) squirrel who thought it was a real egg. Rats would do it too but less likely in daytime.

What did this?

View attachment 2352854

View attachment 2352858

View attachment 2352876

View attachment 2352878

I have 2 theories..

1 is the squirrel. It wouldn't be hard at all for a squirrel to sneak in and even snatch up an egg.

2 is someone carried the egg under their wing. Perhaps the girls are tired of fake eggs and someone removed it from the coop.

My money is on #1 though

I have 2 theories..

1 is the squirrel. It wouldn't be hard at all for a squirrel to sneak in and even snatch up an egg.

2 is someone carried the egg under their wing. Perhaps the girls are tired of fake eggs and someone removed it from the coop.

My money is on #1 though
In that spirit I would like to add #3 - @BY Bob asserted that his chickens don't have pockets or purses, but it has always been clear to me that Phyllis is the kind of chicken that has someone else carry her purse for her. I have no idea who is carrying it, but I think we should assume Phyllis has a purse. I am confident it is an elegant clutch in black with a subtle sequin motif.

In that spirit I would like to add #3 - @BY Bob asserted that his chickens don't have pockets or purses, but it has always been clear to me that Phyllis is the kind of chicken that has someone else carry her purse for her. I have no idea who is carrying it, but I think we should assume Phyllis has a purse. I am confident it is an elegant clutch in black with a subtle sequin motif.
Oh, you know Phyllis very well too!:D

Back
Top Bottom