I'm so glad to hear that. I was virtually holding my breath. Tough or not, I still worry for them when these things happen.
I sometimes forget that posting problems tends to put people on pins and needles with concern. So if I'm going to post things like that then I need to be better about following up, sorry :oops:.

Everyone is up and about today, as I hope you can tell from the photo.
20200928_163313.jpg

Thanks!

I sometimes forget that posting problems tends to put people on pins and needles with concern. So if I'm going to post things like that then I need to be better about following up, sorry :oops:.

View attachment 2352274
Thanks!
Lovely!

That's good to know! I'll take my chances though, because I'm really enjoying Ivy's broody spell. It's given her more trust in me and I can pat her while she's standing near me now. I couldn't do that before.
That's awesome. What a nice outcome.

View attachment 2352274
Thanks!
A healthy flock on the move. Looking good! 🥰

The chickens here have to all intents and purposes unlimited space. They don't use it.
An acre per tribe seems to be what they are comfortable with.
Another important factor is what is in the space they use. A farm on the next mountain has flat open fields around the house. The chickens always head to the woods, or hang around close to the house and he complains about this, saying he cant keep an eye on them when they cross the fields and disappear into the woods.
Lots of cover and ungraded ground close to the house seems to be ideal for the chickens here and for the lads down the track.
I know for example that when one of the hens suddenly disappears to sit on a clutch she is probably no more than 50 meters from a coop. Often she's a lot closer, but finding her in the vegetation we have here is next to impossible unless I see her head off to lay or sit.

Back
Top Bottom