When things were aggressive at roosting time here, I took up a poking stick. I only poked once or twice, then all I had to do was hold it, that stepped down to reaching for it, then to just being there and finally they could be trusted to settle without pecking.
All I have to do is say the hen's name in a stern tone & I get the *butter wouldn't melt who me? look :lol: & everything settles down. I rarely have real roosting issues. The worst I get is a silver Campine deciding they can roost on top on 2 somebodies until they can slide down between them! 😯😆

Why don't you just have key or code padlocks?
If you are worried about then being stolen, that would make sense. When people were stealing chickens earlier this year I almost did.

You do have to watch combination locks as those raccoons are pretty good at cracking them. 😉

Last edited:
Sansa's Revenge

So I started the cameras in order to monitor tonight's roosting. By the time I turned it on Lilly was already roosted. This first video shows Phyllis roosting and then Hattie comes in. Phyllis has to get out of her way so that Hattie can get to her spot. Phyllis jumps down and then quickly jumps back up.

In our second video of the night we see the incident that I believe sets Sansa off. She is supposed be next to roost but Aurora forces her out of the coop.

In video 3 Sansa comes into the coop. She has decided to get her revenge on everyone below her in the pecking order. She starts with Phyllis and Hattie throws in an assist. Phyllis quickly jumps down and then back up again. Sansa goes up onto the high roost and then turns her ire on Sydney. Watch closely as Sansa tries extract her revenge on Sydney in this and the next video.

In the final video, Sydney gets up on the high roost and Aurora enters, snacks, and heads to her roost. She would jump up with no trouble.

All in all, a pretty peaceful roosting as things go here. Things are definitely calmer now.

Last edited:
Sansa's Revenge

So I started the camera s in order to monitor tonight's roosting. By the time I turned it on Lilly was already roosted. This first video shows Phyllis roosting and then Hattie comes in. Phyllis has to get out of her way so that Hattie can get to her spot. Phyllis jumps down and then quickly jumps back up.

In our second video of the night we see the incident that I believe sets Sansa off. She is supposed be next to roost but Aurora forces her out of the coop.

In video 3 Sansa comes into the coop. She has decided to get her revenge on everyone below her in the pecking order. She starts with Phyllis and Hattie throws in an assist. Phyllis quickly jumps down and then back up again. Sansa goes up onto the high roost and then turns her ire on Sydney. Watch closely as Sansa tries extract her revenge on Sydney in this and the next video.

In the final video, Sydney gets up on the high roost and Aurora enters, snacks, and heads to her roost. She would jump up with no trouble.

All in all, a pretty peaceful roosting as things go here. Things are definitely calmer now.
Chickens be Crazy! 🤦‍♀️

No, I prefer my beaus to have clean beaks. Besides your break is so handsome why would you ruin it? Bawk Bawk

View attachment 2371055

This love affair explains all of her problems in the roost.

She has a Long-Distance Love Interest: She gets special Love Letters from BLU.

She has access to high-tech BeakBook / BeakTime sessions with him.

It looks like she drinks coffee or tea also, something forbidden to chickens, but not this chicken!

As is also apparent now, she has a High-Fashion Photographer at her disposal, because her head shots are gorgeous. She posts regularly and her social media following is blowing up!

Then she flaunts those beautiful head feathers as she sashays all over the yard, singing Marlene Dietrich's "Falling In Love Again, Can't Help It", possibly in another language since she's a Polish chicken, well-traveled and very worldly.

Though she may be very nice actually, it sounds to all who hear as if she's just bragging about everything.

No wonder everyone at Fluffy Butt Acres is jealous! Denying her a roosting spot is their only Power Play in this situation.

It seems Rocks-Anne is still a snuggle chicken 653A33C2-145D-45C9-8AA1-F464A1D43060.jpeg

This love affair explains all of her problems in the roost.

She has a Long-Distance Love Interest: She gets special Love Letters from BLU.

She has access to high-tech BeakBook / BeakTime sessions with him.

It looks like she drinks coffee or tea also, something forbidden to chickens, but not this chicken!

As is also apparent now, she has a High-Fashion Photographer at her disposal, because her head shots are gorgeous. She posts regularly and her social media following is blowing up!

Then she flaunts those beautiful head feathers as she sashays all over the yard, singing Marlene Dietrich's "Falling In Love Again, Can't Help It", possibly in another language since she's a Polish chicken, well-traveled and very worldly.

Though she may be very nice actually, it sounds to all who hear as if she's just bragging about everything.

No wonder everyone at Fluffy Butt Acres is jealous! Denying her a roosting spot is their only Power Play in this situation.
Yep. That’s Phyllis!

Sansa's Revenge

So I started the camera s in order to monitor tonight's roosting. By the time I turned it on Lilly was already roosted. This first video shows Phyllis roosting and then Hattie comes in. Phyllis has to get out of her way so that Hattie can get to her spot. Phyllis jumps down and then quickly jumps back up.

Wow. It definitely seems complicated! Why do you think it calmed down Bob? Because you intervened that night?

Reassurance needed.
You all know I am sensitive to molting pictures. And that is partly because this is my first molting season.
Maggie is hit badly (nowhere near as badly as Alice was) and I worry.
I am 90% sure this is normal and it is her pin feathers growing but I took a picture of poor Maggie’s not-very-fluffy-butt (sorry Maggie) just to get reassurance from you all - my chicken@-ey friends.
This is normal right?
6380EE95-F198-44A8-BAA1-F8AB30880CB2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom