And then you come home to Australia and it becomes, "oh. 35 minutes before a train. Good thing I remembered to bring a book. Wish I'd brought some snacks too. I'm thirsty too."

Actually, the 2-5 mins was the Underground rather than the trains. The trains were still something around 20 - 60 mins.

Hi everyone. I hope everyone is well. Not really been on much the last week or so. I have a bit or catching up to do. Today was a bit of a sad day here. I've known for a bit now that if i really wanted to focus on my Marans i would need to rehome Toothless. I kept finding reasons, well ok, excuses to put it off. Toothless is a good boy, while not a lap chicken he was respectful and friendly in his own way. He and Drumstick had finally came to a understanding and he'd quit trying to chase him off. Toothy had his hens (Henrietta, Nugget, Momma) and Drumstick had Holly and Daisy. This arrangement kept everyone in harmony until 2 things happened. The first being the pullets i hatched off in may came to the point of laying and the boys started fighting again over them. Butterball chose to join Drumsticks little flock per say and her sisters Oddball and Snowball chose Toothless. The 2nd thing that happened and it was the deal breaker is one of my marans hens holly weaned her chicks 2 weeks ago. Toothless had never paid ANY attention to her untill she hatched chicks. When she weaned them and started laying again he almost killed Drumstick. He had him cornered and if i hadn't been home i would for sure have came home to a dead rooster.. So Tuesday when he came up to me and let me pick him up i bit the bullet and penned him up in a dog crate and listed him on facebook trying to rehome him. Me and my dad agreed that if i couldn't rehome him by the weekend i would let him put him down. Now here is where it was a blessing that i have many local horseshow friends on there. Someone i knew wanted him. She came and picked him up today, and also took Nugget, Snowball and Oddball to start her own little flock of chickens. While i'm sad Toothy is gone and shed a few tears after he left today I know i made the best decision for him and my flock. I've been to her place in the past, they have a wonderful home. Her animals are just as spoiled and well taken care of as mine and i'd love to have the heated barn that he now gets to be king of.

Here’s some hugs. :hugs:hugs:hugs

Hi yall! Well just a bit ago I almost had a chicken tragedy! I went out to feed the flock and walked upon Claire trapped by her neck under the gate! I thought she was dead but she moved so I hurried and opened it and she got up! She was shaken up pretty badly and she was bleeding from her comb and wings from struggling! I brought her out of the coop and put her in the bunny yard after I held her for awhile so I could finish the feeding and watering ....she sat in there for awhile and walked some too... but as it started to turn dark she looked ready to get out so she could go to bed so I carried her to bed and placed her on the top roost... it looked as if Rosemary wanted to be near her.. she jump up there quickly and was trying to get under Maggie so she could get next to Claire❤... but before anyone went to roost... no one would go into the coop because they wouldn’t dare walk through the gate of death!! I had to carry them one by one and the ones I couldn’t catch I had to herd with the rake! Chickens are smart! They knew something horrible happened there and they knew to stay away!
This is the gate she was stuck under... it is usually propped open and I couldn’t imagine how it shut on her neck like that.. but I figured out that she was running from Trump and ran under it and pushed it shut😳
It won’t happen again! I zip tied it open!
Oh, and I knew she was running from Trump because he was the only one that was stuck in that yard.. View attachment 2383654

Oh my goodness, she's a lucky chicken that you came out. 🤗🤗

I do love the wild ones, but it concerns me when they are hard to handle, as it always seems the one who like handling the least ends up with a medical issue. I make a conscious effort to handle the ones who don't like it, just so it isn't too traumatic if they need my hands-on care one day. Case in point: Roxy. Roxy used to resist handling, but I forced myself on her and good thing, as she is one who is a little more prone to health issues that most of the others.
Its a good strategy and I should do it with Aurora. She just hates to be touched so much that I just feel dirty when I do it.

I am set up so the girls can get themselves up & put themselves to bed if need be but I do usually go out 1st thing & check everyone is up & doing ok. I get yelled @ a lot. They think if they yell enough they will get in the run early. :lau
Mine yell for free range time if they see us at the coffee pot in the window. Aurora will stand watch at the coop just waiting to see a human and start yelling.

Hi everyone. I hope everyone is well. Not really been on much the last week or so. I have a bit or catching up to do. Today was a bit of a sad day here. I've known for a bit now that if i really wanted to focus on my Marans i would need to rehome Toothless. I kept finding reasons, well ok, excuses to put it off. Toothless is a good boy, while not a lap chicken he was respectful and friendly in his own way. He and Drumstick had finally came to a understanding and he'd quit trying to chase him off. Toothy had his hens (Henrietta, Nugget, Momma) and Drumstick had Holly and Daisy. This arrangement kept everyone in harmony until 2 things happened. The first being the pullets i hatched off in may came to the point of laying and the boys started fighting again over them. Butterball chose to join Drumsticks little flock per say and her sisters Oddball and Snowball chose Toothless. The 2nd thing that happened and it was the deal breaker is one of my marans hens holly weaned her chicks 2 weeks ago. Toothless had never paid ANY attention to her untill she hatched chicks. When she weaned them and started laying again he almost killed Drumstick. He had him cornered and if i hadn't been home i would for sure have came home to a dead rooster.. So Tuesday when he came up to me and let me pick him up i bit the bullet and penned him up in a dog crate and listed him on facebook trying to rehome him. Me and my dad agreed that if i couldn't rehome him by the weekend i would let him put him down. Now here is where it was a blessing that i have many local horseshow friends on there. Someone i knew wanted him. She came and picked him up today, and also took Nugget, Snowball and Oddball to start her own little flock of chickens. While i'm sad Toothy is gone and shed a few tears after he left today I know i made the best decision for him and my flock. I've been to her place in the past, they have a wonderful home. Her animals are just as spoiled and well taken care of as mine and i'd love to have the heated barn that he now gets to be king of.
I am so glad you were able to find him his own place. I know that it hurts but it seems like it was truly the right thing to do. Good for you. :hugs :hugs :hugs

Back
Top Bottom