Today I visited my parents, who live an hour and a half away, so I have not had a chance to catch up on the thread. I will. But I’ve been outside with the chickens since I got home and have a few photos and videos to share. Bear with me!

Here are the babies visiting on my lap. I have called them “littlest babies” since they were wee little chicks. Sorry, I don’t think I can rotate the video properly.

Buttercup also had a visit. For some reason she’s molts twice every year. She’s still finishing up her second molt. But she still likes to cuddle.

Here is Minnie, my one and a half year old Buckeye. She’s like a mini Ruby versus a Minnie Pearl. LOL.

View attachment 2386040

Roxy visiting, despite her molt:
View attachment 2386044

Here is the whole flock (I think). The dirt patch in front of me is from a combination of gophers and the fact that those two blue lounge chairs used to sit there. The girls are pleased about it, but I’m looking forward to it turning green again in rainy season.
Those were wonderful. What a great way to meet everybody. Thank you so much for sharing them with us. You have a wonderful flock and have obviously raised some wonderful lap hens. 🥰🥰

We knew she’d come around, Bob. ❤
I want quite certain. It took a long time to get her to wear I could touch her without her running off. Because she grew up with Jabberwocky she got the last handling of any chicken I have had. That trust once she lost her brother was hard earned. She so sweet I'm glad she hasn't stayed angry.

That is plenty of room for them when you count the bigger runs. Sounds like a pretty good set up to me. Since I shared my layout, I'd be interested to see it drawn out.
Bob, here’s an old post of mine where I was asking for feedback on ventilation. It’s not a drawing, but you get the idea. The coop is a refurbished play structure. I don’t have a proper cover on the run, so I just buy a new tarp each year.

Sadly, they no longer have access to all the free ranging, since my neighbor doesn’t want my dog in his yard. Dorothy and Ester still go over, however, as the flimsy poultry netting they just just right over. I may start letting them out in the full area once the babies are a bit bigger.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/video-please-critique-but-be-gentle.1294421/#post-21047368

Last edited:
No, but she is almost 4 yrs old now. Hen-Rietta's comb does the same thing.
She’s a pretty girl! Margo’s comb flopped more sometimes than others, too. And Roxy, who is a single-combed Wyandotte, has always had a pretty floppy comb, even though it is not nearly as big as Margo’s. Rusty’s comb was only floppy when she was ill; I thought it might be from dehydration.

Back
Top Bottom