A bit about rooster peacekeeping.
What the roosters here do is not let it get to the point where the hens fight. Somehow, they know when a fight is brewing. They drive the aggressive hen away usually. Also, given the tribal nature of chickens, when allowed to be tribal, the opportunities for hens from different tribes to fight are reduced because the roosters herd their hens together and drive off the intruder.
Strangely here at least they are great comforters to the hens when that hen loses a fight. You probably don't get this in an all hen flock. This is important because it stops a hen that has lost a fight from getting isolated. The other hens in the tribe tend not to be so empathetic.
That may be what im seeing with Aurora if on her own. Should I maybe offer her some special treats alone?

Thanks Shad. I knew Lilly was boss. She had not seen it necessary to do anything when Aurora was beating up on the three below her in the pecking order. But today she was in the thick of it. I was unprepared for this to happen so I missed who started it. I'll watch closer now.

It is distressing. My instinct is always to let them work it out as I can't be there all the time. They need to manage their own society. It's very hard to watch.
It is hard to watch. Give the participants a very thorough health check Bob. Crops morning and night, worms, poop, mites, vent check (dry is not good)
Sometimes a health problem can produce unexpected reactions.

Oh Bob. How upsetting. I had a couple of observations.
One is that Lilly is very much in charge and she does break it up and she clearly chastises Aurora. Second is that Hattie may or may not have started it, but she gives as good as she gets. I don’t know what that means but the one time something like this happened Diana literally stood on top of Maggie and just beat the crap out of her head and Maggie didn’t fight back at all.
Third is not an observation but just a thought. Something is going on with Aurora. She got more assertive at roosting and she has been sleeping late. My guess is whatever is going on with her is making her generally more aggressive.
I know, none of that helps.
I don’t know what Shad will say, but he has roosters to control this stuff. If you are your flocks rooster (sort of) then wouldn’t it be natural just to wade in to break it up. Doesn’t mean you need to interfere in ongoing dynamics but just to break up the fight.
My guess is you will want to supervise roosting tonight.
I think RC is right. Aurora is feeling something is wrong in her body and it's upsetting her.

Oh Bob. How upsetting. I had a couple of observations.
One is that Lilly is very much in charge and she does break it up and she clearly chastises Aurora. Second is that Hattie may or may not have started it, but she gives as good as she gets. I don’t know what that means but the one time something like this happened Diana literally stood on top of Maggie and just beat the crap out of her head and Maggie didn’t fight back at all.
Third is not an observation but just a thought. Something is going on with Aurora. She got more assertive at roosting and she has been sleeping late. My guess is whatever is going on with her is making her generally more aggressive.
I know, none of that helps.
I don’t know what Shad will say, but he has roosters to control this stuff. If you are your flocks rooster (sort of) then wouldn’t it be natural just to wade in to break it up. Doesn’t mean you need to interfere in ongoing dynamics but just to break up the fight.
My guess is you will want to supervise roosting tonight.
Thanks. I am very concerned about Aurora right now. She just seems angry at the world. 😥

It is hard to watch. Give the participants a very thorough health check Bob. Crops morning and night, worms, poop, mites, vent check (dry is not good)
Sometimes a health problem can produce unexpected reactions.
I will pull them off the roosts tonight. Good idea.

I have seen this as well, Hen fights here are generally worse than the Roosters for sheer viciousness. But I haven’t had any severe injuries. I would Say with Aurora molting Hattie is deciding the pecking order needs re-adjusted, or that Aurora needs to be put in place. I couldn’t get the video to play smoothly, but from what I observed this seems to be what my Bully girl does from time to time with the younger pullets/hens. It’s not going to always be peace and Harmony, especially with molting going on. Turns out that severely molting older girl I was worried about surviving winter is a bully too. Her feathers are back, and so is her attitude... she has been bullying the younger recuse with the bad molt and long hen saddle trying to protect her tail... I am seriously considering some of those pinless peepers for that flock (in a tractor, any visual impairment would be severely detrimental to the free range flock)
3 Rounds of Out and Out Brawling

I am beside myself right now and I definitely need some advice. I have no idea what is going on but all out warfare broke out today between Hattie and Aurora. That's right Hattie. I can't believe it.

They went 3 rounds that I have seen. Lilly broke up the first two by wading into the fight. I filmed the 3rd one in which Lilly was actually involved as it broke out. No joke, they looked like roosters going at it. I have never seen anything like this.

Here is the video of the 3rd bout. I'm putting most of this behind a spoiler. I did not intervene. I need to know if everyone thinks that is the right policy moving forward. They are each wounded. The wounds are not serious, they are their combs up by their beaks. I will also put photos of the wounds behind spoilers.

Patsy and Jabber never fought like this. It is quite vicious.

About 30 minutes after the fight, this is how the flock is grouped.
View attachment 2420045
View attachment 2420047

I'm looking for anyone with experience with something like this or even just common sense. @Shadrach I am guessing that roosters don't let this happen but maybe not. Any thoughts?

That may be what im seeing with Aurora if on her own. Should I maybe offer her some special treats alone?
I can't see it making any difference. If you were her rooster then maybe, but you're not.
It took me quite a while to come to terms with the fact that I'm not a patch on a decent rooster. I'm just Bucket Boy/social worker/medic/housing officer/pusher of grannies out of treeser/cleaner/and worst job of all, judge and executioner.
I'll always be a long second best to a rooster.:hit

Back
Top Bottom