I clean and repad and bandage Cillins foot every morning. I dont have any drawing ointment yet so the lump gets a soak inn warm water and then a bit of light scrub with a surgical wipe dipped in Betadine.
When he went to see Gloria the vet there was just a uniform scab showing about 8 mm in diameter. It was quite hard and about 1mm thick around the edges I could see.
Yesterday morning the scab had deposited bits in the bottom of the hole in the supprot ring.
This morning there is a 1mm diameter white core showing and it's leaked a tiny bit of something. Not quite pus, because there is no infection as such.
This treatment may work if the past few days is anything to go by.

Here's Queenie showing her ability to handle both Friday and Monday in one days' photoshoot. Ignore the human in there! IMG_20210116_120943894.jpg

IMG_20210116_120852808.jpg
IMG_20210116_120306009.jpg

I clean and repad and bandage Cillins foot every morning. I dont have any drawing ointment yet so the lump gets a soak inn warm water and then a bit of light scrub with a surgical wipe dipped in Betadine.
When he went to see Gloria the vet there was just a uniform scab showing about 8 mm in diameter. It was quite hard and about 1mm thick around the edges I could see.
Yesterday morning the scab had deposited bits in the bottom of the hole in the supprot ring.
This morning there is a 1mm diameter white core showing and it's leaked a tiny bit of something. Not quite pus, because there is no infection as such.
This treatment may work if the past few days is anything to go by.
That sounds like progress - so happy to hear!
While waiting for the drawing ointment to arrive, here are a couple of things you can try. When soaking the foot you want the solution to be 'hyperosmolar' (relative to the chicken's bodily fluids). There are many ways to achieve that - salt is commonly used (and would probably be fine as long as he doesn't try drinking the footbath) and you can also use soap. Not detergent, just good old fashioned bar soap. The reason that works is that it pulls fluid out from the skin of the foot and reduces swelling. I think @Kris5902 should try that with Roostie too except he sounds less compliant so it might be hard. Given it is starting to ooze on its own this really could speed up recovery.
The other thing you can try - I think you started with corn pads. The pads themselves didn't stay on but they usually come with a tiny amount of medication/ointment to go in the hole - it is salicylic acid (yes, like aspirin) which is a skin softener - softening the skin is helpful so that any internal infection can break out on its own. Salicylic acid is also usually available without prescription all over the world - often found in acne treatments.
It is impossible to soften the skin if the chicken keeps walking on it - it is hardened for that reason - but with the ring pad in place soft skin won't be a disadvantage.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Tried to get a pic of the beaks, Peanut and Hazel, cannot get it to focus on them, maybe too close? But this one's good for Mugs Monday! Hazel. The oyster shell on her made it pretty reflective. She had finished eating it but clearly had other plans before I picked her up :lau ... She actually was very cooperative...View attachment 2493981
That face is just marvelous. 😆

I would find it amazingly helpful if you could share what you think I should have in my chicken medical kit. I don't think I am as well prepared as I should be, but it is a bit hard to figure out what I might need from all the different pieces of advice on the emergencies threads.
I started with a list on here. I was sure it was something that @Shadrach posted. Let me grab it and everything else I have since added and relist. Because you have access to a vet you need less than others will need.

Back
Top Bottom