Safe, and eating and healing is good!
Interestingly, his recuperation and care in your house is already the beginnings of his new coop in a way, his practice coop, and it seems he is accepting it as his new coop because of the situation with Treacle. Will Mel go with him to the converted coop when it is ready? So here's where I'll go get ready to hide :oops: -- Maybe she can, or should, roost with him now in your house, until they move into their new digs? :D
I want Cillin out of here as quickly as possible. Not because I don't love having him here, or because he's any trouble. He even waits to crow until 0630 and I should be awake by then.
The house is too warm for him.
He doesn't get those first 3 to 4 hours sleep he needs although he's gone out like a light tonight.
Even if he can't keep any hens, he needs to be out there trying.
I would love to bring Mel in but who with and where she lives must be her choice, not mine.
I don't know what will happen once he has his own place.:confused:
My short term goal is to give him options and to get him properly fit. That in itself isn't going to be easy. While he's roosting with me he's not eating properly during the day, partly because he comes into the house if Treacle isn't around and partly because chickens eat more in the company of other chickens. To get him to eat in the mornings I have to pretend I'm eating with him.

I am a meddler. I took a different approach... When Sammy got into a tussle with Roostie and was a little worn down, his two junior Roosters decided to gang up on him. It wasn’t resolving and they weren’t going to let him back off gracefully, they were out for blood. I separated everyone for the day, and let Sammy run with his hens. They roosted peacefully that night, and the next day everything seemed back to normal until roosting, when Dean wouldn’t let Sammy in the coop at night. After watching this for two nights I gave Sammy and his core ladies a break in a Meat Tractor, added in 20 pullet chicks for him to raise (and there were 4 half grown cockerels in the meat tractor as well, because Sammy makes a great dad). After about a month I set them back to free ranging and within two or three weeks Sammy was back in the old coop with Dean and Cass, and trying to take his 20+ ladies with him! Now they are all in the same Trailer Coop at night, plus one more cockerel (Little Red).

I would probably be separating them, meddling in their politics, and fussing. But that’s me. So my actual question is, once you have the second Coop set up, how will you be arranging the bed time situation? Will you be moving the hens that are more attatched to Cillinin with him at first? Or will you evict Treacle and his more receptive ladies?
See below.
Basically I don't have a plan as such.:oops:
Every time I've meddled in their affairs I've messed up. Sometimes the error hasn't been apparent for some time.
Cillin has made this rod for his back. Treacle put up with being chased away from the hens for months.
I do feel for Cillin but in the end my job is to make him fit and keep him safe while I try to do this. After that it's all down to him.

I want Cillin out of here as quickly as possible. Not because I don't love having him here, or because he's any trouble. He even waits to crow until 0630 and I should be awake by then.
The house is too warm for him.
He doesn't get those first 3 to 4 hours sleep he needs although he's gone out like a light tonight.
Even if he can't keep any hens, he needs to be out there trying.
I would love to bring Mel in but who with and where she lives must be her choice, not mine.
I don't know what will happen once he has his own place.:confused:
My short term goal is to give him options and to get him properly fit. That in itself isn't going to be easy. While he's roosting with me he's not eating properly during the day, partly because he comes into the house if Treacle isn't around and partly because chickens eat more in the company of other chickens. To get him to eat in the mornings I have to pretend I'm eating with him.
Shad, as I always say, ("Us roosters stick together")!

hmmmmm, if I had a few more goats, Arduinna would have a playmate, and might sleep outside? Yet, after the week of successful potty training, it seems like it would be a waste of our efforts! Like the “too many roosters” situation, the answer is to add more animals? @RoyalChick did you really need to entice yet another enabler to the conversation??? And a Goat Enabler at that! (Joking!!!)
First of all, I plead not-guilty on enticing a Goat enabler - I had no idea! BUT, that said, my mind immediately went to pointing out exactly what you said that Arduinna would have a playmate and could move out to the barn. I am also questioning the potty training description as by my count you have lost your pillow, DH's jacket and at least one other item of clothing to goat pee-pee pads!
Also, 2 goats are more than twice as adorable as one goat because they play together.
So, I am strongly in the camp of you getting another goat, and moving them into a lovely goat barn (I believe goats and chickens get on fine together so they could even move into the trailer).
And now I will shut up and look for my chicken tax.
:oops:

Back
Top Bottom