Are you sad about that? I'm a little sad that only Sansa still squats for me.
Actually I feel completely rejected and a bit upset about that. And I don't know what changed. Diana will occasionally manage a half-hearted squat like she knows it makes me feel good. But none of the others do any more and the little road-runners never did.
I am also a bit anxious about how I would pick them up if I had to - when they squatted it was easy and it was only ever Maggie who would ignore me if she had her mind set on going for a walk. Now I worry about how I would grab one in a hurry if I had to.

Well there's a tag team situation going on here indeed! Frankly, but I am joking too, I was reminded of that prison series called Oz! My goodness, what's a hen to do when she needs to roost in confined quarters?

So it gets my brain trying to think of more ways to provide for evasive maneuvers and especially sight blocks since roosting occurs so early with good daylight still. Chickens don't get a stink eye for someone they can't see, do they?

First thought of an additional roost, parallel to the main one but out of reach when perched on either, like the high roost bar. Right now the long main bar is so easily patrolled.

But then thought that visual blocks might be a quick thing to try? Like hang cloth or something at a couple of intervals along the long main bar, perpendicular to it, so the sight line down the length is interrupted. The bar is still easily accessed from the coop floor anywhere along the length, so a hen looking to bully could patrol from the floor if they want to. But it might cut down on the development of "stink eye" while on the bar?
That is a creative idea. Worth a try maybe?

Back
Top Bottom