Oh, Hazel, that "Big City"chick! He's not here right now, but I will pass the message on. :frow
She is hardly the "Big City" type! Though she is kind of pushy... :gig This is rural upstate New York - about 25 miles from Cooperstown....55 miles from Albany....northern Catskill Mountains. It's dark at night here!

She is hardly the "Big City" type! Though she is kind of pushy... :gig This is rural upstate New York - about 25 miles from Cooperstown....55 miles from Albany....northern Catskill Mountains. It's dark at night here!
And quiet at night as well. Lots of stars. 😁

They do look alike! I have to look closely because Claudine is looking a lot like Maggie now... it’s more evident in person! View attachment 2505600
I generally seem to have a thing for these beautiful black chickens (Mal, Fat Bird, Mary, Lilly, Claudine, and of course Patsy, who am I forgetting?) I think they are all stunning.
:love:love

I generally seem to have a thing for these beautiful black chickens (Mal, Fat Bird, Mary, Lilly, Claudine, and of course Patsy, who am I forgetting?) I think they are all stunning.
:love:love
What am I, chicken liver?
20210120_155606.jpg

We just got our internet back yesterday, it's been out since Friday morning.

I attempted the repair of Peanut's cracked beak a couple of days ago. It wasn't fun for her. Since the severe cold broke I went out to the run and sat there with her in a cotton towel on my lap. I filed the end a little on one side of the crack to smooth it because a tiny bit had just chipped off the front. I got the super glue gel ready with a tiny drop on my finger. She decided to shift around and I lost the tiny drop on the towel. Got another very small drop ready and waited probably 10-15 seconds, and then smeared some of the drop, not all of it, along the cracked area. I think some must have gotten into the crack, into her mouth? She reacted instantly. I was careful as far as the very end of her beak, but maybe the fumes were strong for her? But I suspect some got in through the very end of the crack. She opened and closed her beak and was working her tongue as if she was clearing it, then panted. I held her for another few seconds to let it dry but then thought she was feeling too stressed and probably hot in the towel, and released her. She later appeared to be eating fine, nothing was stuck anyway. She's been totally her self since then.

But perhaps the crack toward the end of her beak was too wide and that's where it got in, if it did? Today I examined her without a magnifying glass and I can't see the crack, it looks pretty good actually to bare eyes. Now, if the superglue has filled in the end there, gotten between the edges, then as her beak grows it might be a problem and not grow correctly? I need to better understand from where the beak grows. I had thought the end is honed and worn, and growth comes from behind. In this case it is the very end of her beak in question, so I would think the cracked/now reinforced part would slowly be worn away with new beak replacing it?

Back
Top Bottom