What am I, chicken liver?
View attachment 2505663
Sorry Phyllis, but you are in a different class. You are not a member of the group 'beautiful black chickens', even though you are (mainly) black, are definitely beautiful, and may even be a chicken. You are Phyllis. There is only one. It isn't a group or classification. Just Phyllis.
I hope I am forgiven.
:oops:

That was where I was thinking of applying the ointment in the circle. I’ve never used it before. I’m hoping the Tylosin will help as well. If I can get it to the surface I can debride it and hopefully get it all out this time. I’m thinking it will probably look like this. Morning medication, 20 minute warm soak if it’s not freezing outside, dry and apply the ointment. Then evening medication. I may not be able to soak each day, depending on time constraints, but I will do my best to. I want to reserve some of the drawing salve as well for his other foot, which also has a massive bumble I’ve been not treating until he isn’t so lame.
Not to interfere, it's your call - have you considered trying a foot pad with a hole in it on Roostie's other foot, to try to help that bumble from becoming worse too? Since he's coming in for treatment anyway. Or are the foot pads too hard to walk on? I'm thinking of the extra stress he may be putting on it due to the right foot's problems.

We just got our internet back yesterday, it's been out since Friday morning.

I attempted the repair of Peanut's cracked beak a couple of days ago. It wasn't fun for her. Since the severe cold broke I went out to the run and sat there with her in a cotton towel on my lap. I filed the end a little on one side of the crack to smooth it because a tiny bit had just chipped off the front. I got the super glue gel ready with a tiny drop on my finger. She decided to shift around and I lost the tiny drop on the towel. Got another very small drop ready and waited probably 10-15 seconds, and then smeared some of the drop, not all of it, along the cracked area. I think some must have gotten into the crack, into her mouth? She reacted instantly. I was careful as far as the very end of her beak, but maybe the fumes were strong for her? But I suspect some got in through the very end of the crack. She opened and closed her beak and was working her tongue as if she was clearing it, then panted. I held her for another few seconds to let it dry but then thought she was feeling too stressed and probably hot in the towel, and released her. She later appeared to be eating fine, nothing was stuck anyway. She's been totally her self since then.

But perhaps the crack toward the end of her beak was too wide and that's where it got in, if it did? Today I examined her without a magnifying glass and I can't see the crack, it looks pretty good actually to bare eyes. Now, if the superglue has filled in the end there, gotten between the edges, then as her beak grows it might be a problem and not grow correctly? I need to better understand from where the beak grows. I had thought the end is honed and worn, and growth comes from behind. In this case it is the very end of her beak in question, so I would think the cracked/now reinforced part would slowly be worn away with new beak replacing it?
Hopefully someone who knows more can weigh in. In my experience there is a limit to how long you can work on them before it becomes diminishing returns and they start to stress. Probably nothing more than that and the scent of the glue.

Sorry Phyllis, but you are in a different class. You are not a member of the group 'beautiful black chickens', even though you are (mainly) black, are definitely beautiful, and may even be a chicken. You are Phyllis. There is only one. It isn't a group or classification. Just Phyllis.
I hope I am forgiven.
:oops:
While Phyllis has been known to hold a grudge, she says that you are forgiven. In fact she says she may even like you. 😉 After all she agrees, there is only 1 Phyllis.

Not to interfere, it's your call - have you considered trying a foot pad with a hole in it on Roostie's other foot, to try to help that bumble from becoming worse too? Since he's coming in for treatment anyway. Or are the foot pads too hard to walk on? I'm thinking of the extra stress he may be putting on it due to the right foot's problems.
Suggestions are not interfering, they are always welcome.

Fully-feathered Maggie strutting her fluff
I probably should have saved some of these for Friday but I was so happy to see her looking so good I wanted to share.
These are coop cam pictures early in the morning. It looks to me like she is posing. I must get her a mirror!
77CD4188-B57B-48CD-8887-8266A292B43B.jpeg
A2435327-3AD5-4B74-A96D-8C86D07FE63E.jpeg
5466AA3F-FF62-463B-90D7-AF3278422F5E.jpeg
93981B33-847D-4102-ABC8-D7DE50E83BB0.jpeg

Of the initial 10 eggs I set in the incubator yesterday afternoon 5 went into lockdown. I had to pull all 4 butter eggs and 1 of the Marans eggs. Out of curiosity I cracked them open to see how far along they made it as when we candled on day 7 I would have swore I saw veining in all 10 eggs. I obviously made a mistake as all 4 butter eggs did absolutely nothing, and the Marans egg i lost at least started to develop but was a early quitter. I candled them before I removed 3 trays on the egg turner, *day 14s candling had me questioning the whole batch so i threw 18 more eggs in just incase. 4 out of 5 looked great and 1 was questionable but it is soo hard to tell, thought i saw movement, but I'm new to this and it is soo hard to see through a dark shell. Eggciting things started happening this evening, 1 is already externally pipped and slowly making progress and the other 4 are shaking n rolling. I'm torturing myself stalking the incubator every time I walk in the living room, which is constant now lol. A watched pot never boils and apparently a watched chick never zips. I know I need to walk away for a bit, but, cheeps can be heard coming from the incubator and well.....when a broody does the job you never get to see the hatching process so this is fascinating.

Back
Top Bottom