Do your babies sleep in a dark place? My chicks got up early but with the natural light, not at 2am! They also had a little feeder they could eat from whenever they want. What is your setup there? My they have grown so much!
Large brooder bin, with a heat lamp on one side. 1/2 covered by hardware cloth, and the other, a covered lid. They like the shade, but are always hungry. I need to get a larger feeder for them today

Large brooder bin, with a heat lamp on one side. 1/2 covered by hardware cloth, and the other, a covered lid. They like the shade, but are always hungry. I need to get a larger feeder for them today
Ps. “There’s always time for snuggle chicken training!

OK can you all educate the rest of us newbies - what are the signs here that this great little chick is a boy? Coloring? Markings? The look in his/her eyes? You all have a sixth sense about these things? :D
Editing - RA (read ahead) to add @BY Bob to this question. How do you know?

Some chicks it's sex is apparent at hatching, these are the sex-link chicks.

Some chicks it's easy to tell when the wing feathers start to come in, such as barred rocks. Males are double barred, meaning they have twice as much white in the bands versus the females.

Some chicks you really can't tell until closer to sexual maturity, like Silkies.

With chick experience you can start to notice behavior that points to male versus female. Also the chicks physical stance can be a clue as well.

This particular chick I can't say either way yet. They are my friend's chicks and they were only home for a few hours from Tractor Supply.

Thank you all. That farm belongs to a family friend, but that is the barn we took care of for several years. Its also the place where until 2 years ago horse shows were held every weekend in summer for as long as I can remember. It is for sale now and sadly no more horse shows and the barn sits empty. It is a beautiful place and many many good memories are attached to that place. I live just 3 houses up, and can walk to that bridge slowly in 5 minutes. Water levels have stopped rising and while the lower end up my yard got underwater, the area around the horses stayed dry. I can leave now if I had to as well, one way out has finally been opened up.

So I'm ready to call it, the oldest group of chicks are 4 1/2 weeks old. 1 boy and 3 girls. Karen is going to remain Karen lol. I took some pictures last night after I redid their brooder. and here they are.
That is Karen giving me the stink eye on the log.
DSCN3248.JPG

DSCN3252.JPG

DSCN3255.JPG

Thank you all. That farm belongs to a family friend, but that is the barn we took care of for several years. Its also the place where until 2 years ago horse shows were held every weekend in summer for as long as I can remember. It is for sale now and sadly no more horse shows and the barn sits empty. It is a beautiful place and many many good memories are attached to that place. I live just 3 houses up, and can walk to that bridge slowly in 5 minutes. Water levels have stopped rising and while the lower end up my yard got underwater, the area around the horses stayed dry. I can leave now if I had to as well, one way out has finally been opened up.
So glad it all worked out OK with the flood water.

Back
Top Bottom