The younger group is 2 1/2 weeks old and growing well. No one has popped their wattles yet and screamed "I'm a boy" but I have my eye on 2. Bigger then the others with tree trunk legs. Unless they are late maturing, which my line tends not to be any boys will reveal themselves in the coming week.
View attachment 2551936
View attachment 2551937
View attachment 2551938
That one on the right with a chick in front of it. If there is a male in the bunch it has to be one of them. Attitude, stance, chunky legs, just waiting for the wattle pop.
View attachment 2551940
They are so cute. I love chicks. That one you pointed out is sure carrying itself like a rooster. Maybe you will get lucky. Just wonderful little chickies. :love

It worked really well, it was cushiony and grabby and washed off easily. I removed the old one when I saw the edges were starting to get shredded.

I'm not sure I would use the exact same thing for adult birds. Two things to keep in mind here - 1) It had been outside, as a perch / walkway in front of their coop pop door, for some months and was likely degrading in the UV light, so it was more shreddable, and 2) Adult birds are way stronger than chicks and pullets and can really grab and pull hard.

I might put new material on the bigger 2x4 rounded board I have there now, but they don't spend all night on it so I am not highly motivated. They actually roost on the coop's roost bars component. It is a removeable platform of small bars set close together. I'd have to measure but they are maybe 1.5 inches wide with maybe 1.0 inch between them.

View attachment 2551975
I have observed they put their feet on them in different ways, often standing on two bars with a toe or two spanning them, so their foot base probably gets a varied position. So far no bumblefoot from it but it has been less than a year.

I recall liking your towels method but does it require removing and cleaning a lot? For a single roost bar (maybe for the log perch in the run) I would definitely consider new rubber gripper material and keep an eye on it and watch for any shredding action. Dried poo just flakes off it and it is easy to wash. A small rubber sink mat with holes might work well too (and be easily washable).
I am little curious about their current roost. Can you take a picture of them roosted at night? I'd like to see how they use it.

For me it is carriage, how the chick is standing. Look at the difference in carriage in the rooster and the hen in this photo of Dominiques I downloaded.

View attachment 2551726

A rooster's chest is more upright like he is sticking it out. A hen's carriage has her chest lower. Her back is more parallel to the ground. Does that make sense?
Yes it does make sense, thank you! :D

Back
Top Bottom