Spying on my Friends

I spent this morning spying on the girls with the cameras. I learn so much about their behaviors by doing this and caught some fun videos and interesting photos this morning.

Check out how clever Phyllis is. She has found a way to eat without the others pecking or chasing her away. She is eating in the photo. Can you find her?
20210307_091129.jpg

The next selections are from some video I collected while Aurora was laying her egg.

20210307_091104.jpg

This is Aurora actually laying her egg! Listen and you can hear it hit the floor of the nest box. She the rearranges all the eggs under her and sits back down. She would sit on those eggs for at least 6 minutes after laying them. I did not know that they did that. After Daisy, the greatest hen ever, laid her egg she just left the box.

Back on Thursday Lilly started complaining nonstop. This is they way she acts before she lays one of her rare eggs. Usually it is only the day before. I have not caught her on the nest yet. I hope that this does not wind up being an issue for her.

It is hard to be a dual purpose lady. Just a day after celebrating Hattie I am going to pick on her. I'm sorry but this is part of being a member of my tribe. Praise one minute lather at your expense the next.

In this video you will note the Hattie is so large that she boots out the sun! A total eclipse of the Hattie! 🤣

Spying on my Friends

I spent this morning spying on the girls with the cameras. I learn so much about their behaviors by doing this and caught some fun videos and interesting photos this morning.

Check out how clever Phyllis is. She has found a way to eat without the others pecking or chasing her away. She is eating in the photo. Can you find her?
View attachment 2559303

The next selections are from some video I collected while Aurora was laying her egg.

View attachment 2559306

This is Aurora actually laying her egg! Listen and you can hear it hit the floor of the nest box. She the rearranges all the eggs under her and sits back down. She would sit on those eggs for at least 6 minutes after laying them. I did not know that they did that. After Daisy, the greatest hen ever, laid her egg she just left the box.

Back on Thursday Lilly started complaining nonstop. This is they way she acts before she lays one of her rare eggs. Usually it is only the day before. I have not caught her on the nest yet. I hope that this does not wind up being an issue for her.

It is hard to be a dual purpose lady. Just a day after celebrating Hattie I am going to pick on her. I'm sorry but this is part of being a member of my tribe. Praise one minute lather at your expense the next.

In this video you will note the Hattie is so large that she boots out the sun! A total eclipse of the Hattie! 🤣

I love the eclipse! :love

Spying on my Friends

View attachment 2559303

View attachment 2559306

It's interesting how some chickens will turn and nestle their eggs a bit before getting out. Cute.

Oh, yes, I know. They’re known as the “smartest” breed. I do wish I had taken advantage of that and trained her to herd the chickens. She showed strong herding instincts as a pup... helped me catch a bunny that got out based on instinct alone. No training whatsoever and followed my commands based on the tone of my voice alone. It was quite remarkable. Unfortunately, life got in the way and I did not hone that skill. In her world, her job is fetching the ball. Obsessively so. Look what’s happening as I thumb type this on my phone...
View attachment 2558738
Love it! I used to rescue and foster dogs. I had a Border Collie, Aussie mix for a white. Mom was the Aussie, dad was the Border Collie. He looked like a pure Border Collie, only with a stubby tail. I couldn't believe how quick that pup learned a command! Then he would stare at me like he was asking..ok..what next?
20181106_083713.jpg

Back
Top Bottom