I'm sorry to read this Ribh.:hugs
Late advice.
Get Amprolium, Permethrin, Chlorhexedine, a vitamin and mineral booster.
I think I would also look for another beeder Ribh. Losing the Vorwerks so quickly which are noted for being reasonably hardy, plus the chick problems you've had makes me think that your breeder doesn't know what he/she is doing.
My view with chicks is get them outside as quickly as possible. Outside is where they are going to live and being outside early helps them build up some tolerance to the local pathogens.
It was a problem here when I arrived. They kept the chicks inside until they were fully feathered. When they let them out a lot died.
I think while your run and coops are great that you have too many chickens for the available space. Just an observation. The 10 square metres rule one often reads is imo about half of what the minimum should be.
Ideally, all prospective chicken keepers should equip themselves with the basic medications before they get chickens. I realise this rarely happens but when a chicken falls ill, you need the stuff there and then, not when amazon or whatever manage to deliver it.
I did have medication on hand ~ have just ordered more as I have just about used up what I had on hand. Yes, I have been thinking the same thing. This lot of Vorwerks seem to be thriving. They are older though, close to POL. The older birds of this lot all seem to be ok too. Our weather has been rather extreme: hot & muggy to quite cool in a matter of hours [temp swing of 5+ degrees] so I'm thinking a bit of extra stress hasn't helped. either.

Yes, the run is too small but they are free ranging @ present & that doesn't look like changing any time soon. If they were going to be permanently confined I wouldn't have so many birds but they have the whole yard ~ about 1/2 an acre & the Campines also occasionally explore the hill so space wise there's over an acre of available space. Do you still think that's too small?

I think you are. When I finally got this group out in natural light, I suspect at least 3 of the 6 are boys, if not possibly 4. And in the older group, I knew there was 1 for sure male and thought 3 were girls. Wrong, 2 are boys, combs starting to pink up on a second one and when the sunlight hit, the 2 boys already have their copper hackle markings coming in. So out of 10 chicks hatched, its for sure looking like a even split but I wont be surprised now if its not 6 boys and 4 girls. After a brief visit last summer it seems the pullet fairy has left me and my old friend, or enemy if you want to call it that the Cockerel fairy is back. And with a vengeance I may add.
Am I seeing a lot of cockerels there? Are they after bugs in that last one? 🥰.
Looking at them with what @BY Bob explained about seeing the stance in boy chicks versus girl chicks, I was wondering the same thing!

Last edited:
I did that yesterday and they all went crazy also !!

When I was going to school, one of my first classes had us join social media and I just never closed my Facebook account. I have it to keep in touch with family a few friends, a bible group when I was going through a time of bible study or learning and of course our Barred Holland chicken group. The person that buys every year so far, found us on our Facebook Farm Page we made and I keep up. I usually go check it once or twice a week and I'm horrible about posting to our page, since nothing is really happening. And plus we have so few birds left at the moment.
How many birds are you down to?

I went into town today. I took my camera!
These chickens are out most days I go past the house. I thought I would get a few picture. There are four roosters at this house. Most of the hens are Catalans. There are also some Black Minorcans.
View attachment 2561087View attachment 2561090View attachment 2561095
This is another house I pass. This lot of chickens were in the vegetable garden for a few weeks turning over the soil. The man who owns the plot says he fenced them out last week. Again, these are Catalans and Blck Minorcans.
Yes of course I gave them some walnuts!
View attachment 2561096View attachment 2561097View attachment 2561098View attachment 2561099
That is wonderful to see. I just love seeing them out and about. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom