Beat the sun up and pluck her off the roost. 😉
Shra!

IMG20210417073036.jpg

I got the idea from you my friend. Something I have really taken to heart because it is way more reliable than having them drink it. I have snuck medicine into penne pasta before. 😆
Remember all that cheese Peggy got through when she was on post-surgery antibiotics!

I beat the sun this morning but never thought of how difficult it is to get a roosting chook out of a prefab coop (they really aren’t designed well ☹️)
Got Belle out and got her weight then did the same with Snow because, why not 🙃 I weighed myself with the towel, then me and each chook with the towel, then worked out their weights off that.
They won’t trust me for a bit I’m sure and the ruckus Snow made will have the neighbours questioning what I’m doing 🙄
Belle came in at 1.5kg and my big girl Snow is 2.4kg (😳)
Both crops felt empty, Belle’s roosting poop was firm but I could see longish grass sticking up. That could be the issue, eating the long whipper snippered grass off the lawn?
Getting her dose of worker ready based on the weight of her, trying it in some rice bubbles with some of my homemade sugar syrup.
Wish me luck, I’m hoping it was just her clearing that grass though.
First of all, sometimes we have to make them angry. Good for you getting them out before the sun was up. Prefab coops really aren't designed for chicken removal at all. I remember that well.

Could have been the grass. Long pieces of grass can cause crop problems. Just to be safe I would make certain that they have access to plenty of grit but those long pieces can be tough.

I'd get up before dawn and take her off the roost before she's awake. Then I'd weigh her while she's drowsy, put her in a box with no food or water, then give her the treat soaked in kilverm about an hour after she wakes up.
I tried it and she totally ignored it. :barnie

I will try again tomorrow maybe with those seed crackers they liked and cream cheese mixed together 🤔 the taste of those might mask the kilverm.

Why are they so wily 😉
At least today I got their weights, that’s something.

They also have that at Tractor Supply. Give them some nutridrench to help supplement food. It will give them energy, electrolytes, and other nutrition to help. I'm afraid she might be dehydrating.
Sav-a-chick does the electrolyte aspect too, I think. There's a human baby product - pedialyte I think - that could be used for the electrolytes too. I recall sometimes people use gatorade in a pinch too but I'm not sure. Basically getting in a balanced sugars/salts liquid. When those are there in with water, it helps the body absorb the fluid and fight dehydration.

Too funny! I've been around for months but I tend to go on extended leaves of absence, only to return and lurk for some time (trying to catch up to some degree), and then I will occasionally poke my head in the window and say a few words or toss in a couple of photos, then I'm back to lurking. :gig

But I do enjoy your contributions, if that means anything. 😊
I know I love it when you contribute. It is always great to have you around.

Hi everyone. So I’m feeling guilty about Ruby. I don’t know if I did the right thing with this last round of treatment. Wondering if euthanasia would have been more kind. I really, REALLY hope she feels good in awhile. When I medicated her tonight, I could HEAR her breathing. She no longer has a giant, swollen abdomen, so I’m not sure what’s causing that.

Dorothy, too. She squirted all over me during her last two doses.

The girls didn’t get out of the run AT ALL the past two days since I had birthday dinner for my sister Wednesday and board meeting g tonight (Thursday). I should get home in time for some run around time this weekend and they’ll h a be lots of time this weekend. It will be telling.

I’m starting to wonder if something is running through my flock. Ester isn’t laying, either.

Sorry for sounding like a downer. Just feeling a bit deflated for my poor, sweet birds. I will spoil them with weekend!
I'm so sorry. Sometimes it's really hard to tell what's going on with the tribe. It could just be something in the weather too. :hugs

I tried it and she totally ignored it. :barnie

I will try again tomorrow maybe with those seed crackers they liked and cream cheese mixed together 🤔 the taste of those might mask the kilverm.

Why are they so wily 😉
At least today I got their weights, that’s something.
Maybe wait two-three hours after she wakes up.

I'd get up before dawn and take her off the roost before she's awake. Then I'd weigh her while she's drowsy, put her in a box with no food or water, then give her the treat soaked in kilverm about an hour after she wakes up.
This is a great suggestion! ;)

Back
Top Bottom