What a day. It was beautiful out. I sunburned my shoulder a bit.

So poor Dorothy has declined. I have her her on enrofloxacin and calcium, as she keeps dropping soft eggs off the roost and doesn’t feel well. I’m very concerned. I might try her on an implant, too, but I cannot afford to keep two hens going on hormone implants indefinitely. This is hard.

Ruby had a relatively good day. She was almost as active as everyone else. It was warm, so the whole group was a bit subdued. In the cooler part of the day, she was just as active as her friends.

Minnie, not so much. She had a droopy tail most of the day. I’m worried about her, too.

With Minnie’s symptoms, the pullets having very pale combs and several having watery, slimy urates, I think something is going around the flock. Today I wormed them all with albendazole, except the two on enrofloxacin, who will get it later. I had never wormed my flock before, but something is going on, as I have too many birds who are not right. Tomorrow they’ll start on Corid (Amprolium) water, too. I had gotten away from throwing meds at everything, but I’m feeling a bit desperate.

The worming was quite the production. I decided to dose the liquid into little bits of bread, roll the bread into little balls, and pop them in. For some, it was easy. Others struggled. It took TWO bread bites for each chicken, so I would have to hold one somewhere while I dosed the first. I’d get a chicken between my criss-cross-apple-sauce legs, lean over her, grab her head and pry the beak open with the other hand. I’d hold the second bread ball between my lips. But my little thief, Flo, kept trying to steal them! One time, she jumped OVER a patient and grabbed a bread ball right out of my mouth! Despite the challenges, I eventually finished the task. A few of them even ate it readily.

I have been doing the bread method with Dorothy and Ruby, too. When I went to dose Ruby, we were swarmed. I wasn’t too worried, as the antibiotics are smaller volume and only require one piece of bread... no need to hold one in my lips. Well, Ruby fought me hard, and the next thing you know, her head and neck were gyrating in the strangest fashion! For a moment, I feared she had broken her neck and was dying. I was quite scared! I stroked the back of her neck and she snapped out of it. So strange! I will be sure she is away from the others for the remainder of her treatment doses. I’ll keep a close watch for wry neck, too.

So please think positive thoughts for Dorothy, Minnie and Ruby this week. If worms and/or coccidiosis are at play, I’m not sure when I can expect (hope) to see some improvement. Ester also isn’t laying. Dorothy, Minnie and Ester were raised together (by Cashew) as chicks, and I find it suspicious this age group seems to be struggling the most right now.

Sorry about the rambling and thanks for reading our woes! The good news is they got lots of free range time this weekend. :)
:hugs :hugs

I think my neighbor is poisoning my birds. I am going to keep them all in lockdown confined to the barn/coop and run. No more free range. And this makes me feel very sad.
Was this the neighbour you thought was breeding roosters to cockfight?
If it’s not too difficult to discuss, how did Emma pass do you think?

Was this the neighbour you thought was breeding roosters to cockfight?
If it’s not too difficult to discuss, how did Emma pass do you think?
Some of my neighbors are of criminal element, and when I call them on it, immediately get reprisals. These cowards will poison my birds, but not confront me directly. Sorry I’m very depressed at the moment

Some of my neighbors are of criminal element, and when I call them on it, immediately get reprisals. These cowards will poison my birds, but not confront me directly. Sorry I’m very depressed at the moment
That’s ok, totally understand.
Again, I’m so sorry for the loss of one of your feathered babies 😔

@featherhead007 :hugs I'm so sad about Emma and really upset and angry if your suspicion about the nbor is anywhere near accurate. Good idea to keep the babies in lockdown for a bit.

@LozzyR eeeek! 🤢 how did he get in there??!?

@micstrachan that mode of dispensing is prize worthy! Hope your girls perk up

@Ribh give that Dorothy love from me. I hope she does well.

@Scrambles83 that Mugshot is cracking me up

And I guess this question can be asked of the group at large about the prefab coops...has anyone had luck with one lasting a couple of years? We bought ours from the Chicken Coop Company bc it was made in US, wood and wire with extra support under nest boxes. I'm sure hoping it doesn't turn into a pile of kindling prematurely!

Here is Allele for Mugshot Monday!

Attachments

• 20210414_132543.jpg
    20210414_132543.jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 5
I have noticed that Dotty is getting quite aggressive with me. She has been pecking my ankles for a while which is a bit painful but sort of amusing.
However, she has been escalating recently and went full on attack just now. I managed to grab her and hold her for a while - I thought maybe she needed to remember that I am the rooster in this tribe - she didn’t struggle, but once I set her down she took a chunk out of my thumb.
I hand fed some sunflower seeds but she would only take ones that fell to the floor.
Everyone else is behaving normally including Maggie who is super friendly to me (as long as I listen to her loudly expressed opinions) and also puts Dotty in her place quite often. Maggie did not however come to my rescue when I was under attack!
Any advice from my favorite peeps?
:idunno
BY full on attack you mean like a rooster coming at you, right? Wings and everything?

I’m sorry my friends. I haven’t participated with you much lately. I do look In from time to time, but my healing is slow and still very painful. This is Sunday, I usually don’t miss church, but today I had to.
I'm so sorry this is taking so long to heal for you. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom