Well momma hen has weaned Squirrel and her brother. I feel so bad for the poor little things today. They are so confused because yesterday she wanted them right next to her and would still fight you over them. Today, she only tolerates them for a few minutes then runs them off. They are ready though, 7 weeks old and she's taught them everything she can teach them. Now its my turn, thanks to the old bat they are sorta wild. It's my job to make friends with them without the danger of being attacked. One of the things she taught them is her love for bananas, so we have already shared one old banana today. A week of special attention and treats should have them turned into friendly little things. At least this time she weaned her babies before teaching them to roost in the tree's on the hill. Well, she has tried every night for about 2 weeks, they never followed and she always came back to roost in the pen with them.
It is very sad when mum turns them loose. They seem so confused. It can be very hard to watch. I'm glad you have a strategy to train them.

Chick and Mini.
Chick laid her first egg a couple of days ago. It was blue like Mo's.
Mini, the Silki in the picture has been broody recently and hasn't started laying again yet.
Mini hasn't got a clue about what goes on above her head! I have to practically put my hand on the floor to give her a treat or she doesn't see it in time to prevent one of the others grabbing it.
They will all eat from my hand now, something my sister hasn't been able to achieve before. Chick will jump onto my lap and while she won't settle she will allow me to touch her without jumping straight off.
View attachment 2667604
It's nice to see the chicken whisperer at work again. Well done sir! 👏

You should be out of quarantine now, right?

I tried to change my name to MaryJanet (champion) but I backed out when I realised I'd be stuck like that for a year. So, with due humility (ie none) I request my friends imagine my username as MaryJanet (champion) henceforth. Thank you. :gig:lau:gig:lau:gig

This might be an example of a joke that doesn't translate from Aus to US and if so, know that I really shouldn't be allowed on byc before I've had tea... :gig:lau:gig
In America we just call you Champ. 😉

I tried to change my name to MaryJanet (champion) but I backed out when I realised I'd be stuck like that for a year. So, with due humility (ie none) I request my friends imagine my username as MaryJanet (champion) henceforth. Thank you. :gig:lau:gig:lau:gig

This might be an example of a joke that doesn't translate from Aus to US and if so, know that I really shouldn't be allowed on byc before I've had tea... :gig:lau:gig
Translates perfectly, MaryJanet (champion) 👑

Back
Top Bottom