Worm Day

Every year the day I close off the garden is both exciting and sad for the ladies. There are lots of worms to eat and it's the last day of digging in the garden for them.

Yesterday was extra special for them as the frame for my raised bed had disintegrated and had to be rebuilt. That meant lots of extra digging in my part which meant many many many worms.

Phyllis did not leave my side all day. The others went to dustbathe and such, not Phyllis. I could not believe that she could eat so many worms.

Sansa got the big prize. The only grub of the day was her's.

Here are the girls tilling and leveling the garden with the new frame in place.
View attachment 2672042

Here is the garden planted with the fencing up and chickens evicted.
View attachment 2672047

After a long day of working in the garden I settled down under the tree for a beer and 2 wonderful things happened.

First one of the cat birds which are nesting under our bedroom window came over to the fountain for a drink.

View attachment 2672052

As the sun set for the day I had a special moment with Hattie. She is to the point now that I can pretty much pet her whenever I want. Well yesterday she came and laid down by my chair for 30 minutes until I went in for the night. Such a sweet lady.
View attachment 2672059
What a beautiful and rewarding end to a hard days work 💜
Don’t they kick out all the dirt from your garden beds onto the grass?
Penny and Bok would have emptied mine of soil I think if they had the option! The new ones are blocked off from them from the get go, plus I do spring and autumn plantings.
My trouble is a cat coming and digging everything up in the night :barnie

Lazy afternoon here. I had a big lunch and lounging on my patio, little Coco jumped up an laid down beside me. She snuggled up close and fell asleep. Then I said “why not” and fell asleep too. I woke up to find 5 barred rock Pullets laying around me, on me and at my feet. (Just way too cute for words) I didn’t have my iPhone for a picture of it.:( But it was a surprise when I woke up! :eek:

These are the five BR’s I mentioned
3810E884-1572-4DE4-B4F2-FF8DB18A796E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom