That’s of course the way I am leaning as well, I always want to give my birds a chance, unless they are clearly suffering, and so far she seems to be doing ok, but not exactly “well”. She did Roost on the lowest rung tonight, so tomorrow morning will likely go somewhat smoother. I am worried that it could be from a head pecking injury. I will continue to observer her and maybe work on another small coop/tractor arrangement.
I am the same. I sometimes feel guilty about Princess (my lame-in-one-leg bird). I did consider euthanizing her because she can only hop on one leg. She sleeps in a nest because she cannot roost. She does not come outside of the run, probably because she feels vulnerable out of the run.
She eats and drinks and lays an egg every day. But she is a loner.
The others used to bully her, but they no longer do. And I have seen her fight to defend her food. She will peck, use her wings and lunge her chest at them if she has to. She is a Brahma so she is large and has weight on her side.
I don’t want to put her down if she is happy or content, and I have no way to know that.

Dominance stories - Hazel is definitely the boss around here! She is a safety lookout and an enforcer. This morning someone, I think Popcorn, had caught a little moth. She ran around doing keep-away from the other two, but Hazel was on lookout and was intent on watching for something, and she didn't move. Except when Popcorn ran by her she did lean over and give her a quick peck on the neck. Just because. :confused:

Hazel
View attachment 2714215

A few days ago everyone was in the big run except Popcorn, who had just gone into the little run and up into the coop to lay her egg. Both runs were currently pretty close. The big run is fairly stationary and the little run is a tractor run/ coop. The three all began to dustbathe in the new doggie pool, only half filled with dirt, ashes & whatnot, I am filling it up still but was thinking the whole big run will move soon to a very shady spot so I didn't fill it all up. It's working well, esp. when their dirt hole by the apple tree is too damp for good fluffing. They don't seem to be mud bathers. It has a soft edge that they step on as they hop into it. When I set it up I got a wood block step for them, thinking the edge was a little high, and just as I set it down two just went right in stepping on and over the edge next to me. :lau

They looked very much into their dustbath so I closed both runs and went into the house to do some chores, checking on both visually to see if they had stopped or Popcorn had finished or bailed for the moment, and I would bring them together. Everyone was busy for over an hour.

Cut to later, I saw Popcorn leave the coop and the others finish their bath about the same time. So I go out and open up both runs and everybody comes out. Pecking around under the apple tree while I watched and fed them dandelion leaves to tear off. Almost immediately Popcorn headed up to the big run and jumped into the dustbath and started scratching and bokking and fluffing around. Hazel followed her quite eagerly, but what does she do? Mercilessly peck Popcorn and drive her out of the bath. :eek: Popcorn leaves and exits the run and goes back to pecking and scratching under the tree, but a few minutes later tries again and jumps into the pool. Hazel is right on her and drives her out again. It seems pool times are heavily regulated around here!

Beware Hazel the Pool Master
View attachment 2714231

So just today, Hazel started to dustbathe and then decided not to and jumped out. A little later Butters started dustbathing and Hazel stopped her with a few pecks. Then Hazel left, went over to the coop run and approached the coop ladder. It seems she wanted to lay an egg soon. But then she came out. Butters and Popcorn got into the pool and started the beginnings of dustbathing, and Hazel looked interested but pecked a little at them instead, then wandered away. They weren't deterred, and Peanut joined in. Soon it was going full swing, all clucks and kicks and rubs and fun, but Hazel didn't join in. She did Sentinel duty, looking out and up near the run door, then browsed around the apple tree, said hello to me a bit, then went back into the big run, and lay down next to the pool and preened while they bathed. Later on she went into the nestbox, but came out a while later not having laid anything when I checked. I'll keep an eye on her tomorrow.

Usually the four dustbathe together. This was different. Here they are, the three in dustbathing ecstasy, having a blast in there, and Hazel just being mellow and preening.
View attachment 2714247
You are learning so much about them by watching them. It is so much fun isn't it? This is one of my favorite things about having them.

My insomnia is starting to be a real problem. I have been planning my Hawaii trip. It’s very complicated. How do I care for my lovely chickens, when I fly to meet my family? (My SkyHawk can’t accommodate 12 chickens, and there wouldn’t be any in flight service, if I did take them! :thMaybe I should take my roo Jaffar, he could be a great co-pilot, except for his Bantam Cochin legs are too short for the control pedals (I really love my precious little rooster)View attachment 2715113
He is a beautiful boy!
Do you have a chicken -sitter available for when you travel?

I have not had raccoons here. Real raccoons are quite dexterous and can work simple latches. It's why I use carabiners to lock the coop and run. Here raccoons will reach through chicken wire and kill chickens even if they can't eat them.

This article is not about raccoons though, it is about Raccoon DOGS. This is a kind of canine that is not native to England. I would not be too concerned as there is not a lot of them in England yet, it is just a concern. Your neighborhood dog is a more likely villain than this raccoon dog.
That's twice you have laid my fears to rest. Thanks again my friend :)

Yes, I take daily preventive meds which might need revision again, though generally speaking my headaches are less severe then they were before I started it. I also have meds for when I get a migraine
I'm sorry you suffer thus way. My sister has migraines basically all the time, they ebb and flow, better days and worse days, and she has very few clear days. I so wish there were better treatments!

The Buckeyes are staying in an area around 20 x 20 feet - at most - encompassing the big run on one side, an apple tree, blueberry bushes and the little run & coop on the other. Why? The only thing I can think of is that for two days in a row earlier this week, when let out of the coop in the morning, they all ran 30 feet over to their favorite area by the old compost pile and the rhododendron bush and encountered a snake sunning itself there. Both times it quickly moved away but not before someone issued a serious alarm call and there was a mad rush back to the coop. This morning I walked over there in front of them, trying to make sure it was clear and reassuring them, but they really wanted nothing to do with the place and stayed away every time they were free to wander, which was many hours today as I gardened right next to them. They didn't even go past it to their favorite spot under the fallen apricot tree. They have caught very small snakes and big worms, but this one, maybe 18 inches long? is a mortal enemy and too much to take on.

Maybe there's another reason, I don't know. But they preferred to be in either run, or the small area between them with the sheltering apple tree in between. I'm happy they are choosing caution, it is much safer from hawks even with me there. Really for 2-3 days now they actually have stayed in a 10x15 spot between the runs. Today they got very interested in excavating a new hole there.
They are very smart. They feel safe in that area and are occupied. If they get bored they will expand.

Mine tend to stick too the apple and magnolia trees. They will visit the rest of the yard but they stick the trees primarily. They feel most safe there.

I've only known my new birds for a day and they've already chosen to perch on me without coercion. I'm seeing this as the beginning of a great friendship.
I just love EEs. I hope that you get yourself a Maleficent out of your bunch.

Tip, if you want - Put an opaque plastic bag around them to keep the humidity high, the roots can't keep up with the leaves in their condition (and leaves open their pores under any light, they can't control that). A sun shade would be helpful too. Alternatively to the bag, mist them a lot, and/or you could lightly pile some actual weeds under, on, and around them. That will keep the humidity up. Cut grass works. Replace it every day (it's an excuse to weed the garden!).
Great ideas. Thanks. It has been raining ever since I replanted them. They are taking root again! Lol at them perking up. :wee :wee :celebrate:celebrate

20210612_123706.jpg

Back
Top Bottom