Question: If she gets pullets loaded with cocci, and they go through the stress of travel and a new place, would medicating them immediately be enough to keep them alive? Maybe my question is would it be medicating to treat versus medicating to control? Do a test upon receipt?
Is it safe to just prophylactically medicate newly acquired chicks with Corid as a group? Just in case? Does anyone do that?

Welcome to the tribe! It is so nice to have you come out of the shadows. 😉 Hopefully we can meet your tribe someday.

I was not aware that genetic testing was Acadian. I'm going to research this a little and see what is involved. I would likely need to select a few more than I wanted but it is interesting indeed.

Is North Bangor near Malone? I've been to Potsdam several times but never went on to Malone. For everyone else, it appears that is essentially almost in Canada. Very close to Montreal, relatively speaking. Someone has a real winter!
I cannot wait to introduce my ladies! They are quite the celebrities amongst my friends and coworkers.
I have a barred rock, 2 prairie bluebell eggers and 2 starlight green eggers in my original flock. I sadly lost one of my barred rocks a few months ago. A total shock. She was absolutely fine and I came home from work to her dead in the coop. It appears it was some sort of sudden death thing. We were pretty devastated. I will say that my significant other, who was dead set against chickens in the first place, took it the hardest. He ha became quite the ultimate chicken tender! :D

My littles are 1 blue rock, 1 GL wynodette, 1 lavendar orpington, 1 barnevelder, and 3 easter egger's.
I belong to a few facebook groups and it seems like the DNA testing is quite popular.
Yes!! it is very close to Malone, I am about 7 miles from Malone. I live on 11B which brings me right into Potsdam. We do have real winters and I hate it, even more so now that i miss spending my evenings with my flock. Plan on relocating in a few years when my youngest graduates.

It is clear I am not going to be able to catch up, I'm almost 75 pages behind again...

Things have been busy in my neck of the woods. Rich is doing well and has his follow up for the aneurysm tomorrow morning.

I finally found a new (to me) car. We had an extremely tight budget to work with. We went through Enterprise Car Sales and they were amazing! I still can't believe we were able to get the car we did.

View attachment 2718582

Thursday night I was helping Rich to move a gun safe and it didn't go well. The safe slipped and landed on my foot. We rushed to urgent care and after several x-rays it was declared severely bruised but not broken.

View attachment 2718584
Congratulations on the nice new car! The toe? Sorry 😢

I am glad that you have stopped just lurking and actually dropped in!
I am a new chicken keeper (as of May of last year) and BYC and this forum and THIS thread in particular is a Godsend. The friends here have taught me more about chickens than I could have learned in ten years!
Not even to mention the EMOTIONAL support.
Welcome, and tell us more about your fur and feather babies! We love pictures. (Hint).
Agreed, has been really good for me as I don't have many actual friends that keep chickens. My oldest daughter and I started our flocks at the same time, also in may of last year.

Is it safe to just prophylactically medicate newly acquired chicks with Corid as a group? Just in case? Does anyone do that?
It will not hurt them and I would do it. They are undergoing a lot of stress and making sure there is nothing going on is worthwhile in my opinion. It almost always too late to save chicks once you notice something is wrong.

I do think @ILoveDaffy was able to save theirs earlier this year but it is very touch and go. I would treat when they arrived and provide medicated feed. It's just too easy to lose them.

Now I'm sure that someone will disagree with me and that's OK. I don't normally recommend treating without testing but in this case I believe the good outweighs any long term effect.

Edited to Explain Strikethrough
You can overdose your chicks on Amprolium. You should NOT treat and provide medicated feed. Please see the following for further explanation.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...es-stories-of-our-flock.1286630/post-24593768

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom