Be wary of Craigslist.

There is a local Facebook group that @CrazyChookChookLady belongs to around here. Maybe there is one where you are.

If you are going to source them locally, there are vaccines that you could consider including one for coccidia. They are not always performed by local breeders. You could ask your vet about getting them vaccinated.
Hey, I got Jaffar off Craigslist (but yes I was most fortunate) šŸ“

I want to say I love all the pictures of everybody's barred rocks. While I love my Marans and feel I will always have them my first chicken love was with 2 Dominique's. While not the same these barred rock photo's bring back wonderful although sometimes sad memories of my Fred and Wilma. I got them when I was 3. While my dad's layer/meat flock of "normal" chickens would terrorize me those 2 installed a love of chickens that has lasted until this day 33 years later. Maybe one day I'll be able to add another barred breed to my flock, looked for Dominique's before I found my Maran's but none were available at the time. I just hesitate to do it as those 2 set the bar high in my memories and I fear new ones would never live up.
962209B3-730E-412A-99D0-5C0AF9DEFF04.jpeg C91F5581-0976-40B8-8F99-C47808951DA4.jpeg

OMG! I can see that is far from ideal. But SO DARN CUTE how can you be mad for more than a moment?!
It's just for the first several days now I'm going to be a nervous wreck. I think after the fiasco with squirrel's hatch where in the first couple days she stepped on and killed all but 2 that the feeling is leaving her in the stub of her one foot. Once they learn to avoid being under that foot I can breathe easier. That and I just did not need any more chicks right now. I'm glad she's alive, but dang her 10 really.

Order placed to hatch on the 21, all vaccinated for Marek's and will be put on medicated feed once they get home.
Excellent. You will want to have nutridrench ready for when the chicks arrive home so you can give them a quick boost. Additionally, have probiotics and electrolytes ready for their water.

I am very excited for you.

Back
Top Bottom