Thank you for sharing. You have a lovely tribe and I like your pretty coop and run.
I am having some softshell issues right now so I am interested in how Dixie got over the issue and how old she is. Right now I am just dispensing calcium like it candy and hoping for the best!
That is pretty much what I did. Im guessing she doesnt eat the oyster shell like she should. She definitely doesn't have the appetite the other girls do. They have layer pellets and oyster shell. I gave them grubblies and all the calcium rich treats I could find at the store. It resolved itself but just last night her egg was very long and thin and wrinkly.

I am ready to strangle the old bat Momma hen. She disappeared one me. Gone without a trace, was beginning to fear she was dead. She showed back up this morning and she's not alone. She has 10, yes you read that right, 10 brand new chicks with her. I have no clue where she chose to hatch them at, I've searched this place all over, even sat for hours scouring the hillside with binoculars and not a glimpse. This bat will be the death of me, she clearly didn't get the memo no more chicks.
View attachment 2722386View attachment 2722387
OMG! I can see that is far from ideal. But SO DARN CUTE how can you be mad for more than a moment?!

I am behind, SHRA? but here the question is are you treating a case of coccidiosis or preventing it?

Preventing- If you already have medicated starter - which is preventive - then you don't need to put regular feed out and use the preventive water. If you have regular feed then use the liquid preventive dose in the water instead.

If you HAVE a case of coccidiosis on your hands then the preventive dose of either is not enough.

What is your goal? Remember we are talking about chicks and pullets up to about 8 weeks.
The issue is we just don’t know yet… from the sounds of it (and yes, I missed a bunch) they may be getting some older chicks from the same source as the ones that came and quickly perished of Coccidiosis. So the question is should they just switch over from the breeders Non medicated feed to medicated, or go with a treatment levels be safe.

@BY Bob I just had another thought on Dr Mark telling @MaryJanet to use the medicated feed while treating (aside from the potential Australian medicated feed brand differences etc?) as a vet do you think he may have given her the correct dosage to boost the levels of Amprolium from the therapeutic dose to the treatment dose? I was just recalling popping overto the pharmacy from work for my prescription refill, only to find I was out of refills. Wondering how I would get through the day without them (anti inflammatory for a shoulder RSI) the pharmacist pointed out that I know my dose and there is the over the counter version (turned out much cheaper too) I just needed to basically ignore the maximum daily dose info and take it as though I was at the prescription level until I could get into my Dr again.

The issue is we just don’t know yet… from the sounds of it (and yes, I missed a bunch) they may be getting some older chicks from the same source as the ones that came and quickly perished of Coccidiosis. So the question is should they just switch over from the breeders Non medicated feed to medicated, or go with a treatment levels be safe.

@BY Bob I just had another thought on Dr Mark telling @MaryJanet to use the medicated feed while treating (aside from the potential Australian medicated feed brand differences etc?) as a vet do you think he may have given her the correct dosage to boost the levels of Amprolium from the therapeutic dose to the treatment dose? I was just recalling popping overto the pharmacy from work for my prescription refill, only to find I was out of refills. Wondering how I would get through the day without them (anti inflammatory for a shoulder RSI) the pharmacist pointed out that I know my dose and there is the over the counter version (turned out much cheaper too) I just needed to basically ignore the maximum daily dose info and take it as though I was at the prescription level until I could get into my Dr again.
I don't think this is still the plan. After buying chicks with unknown histories, my family wants to be sure they are healthy and that we know everything about their medical history. Apparently, it's really difficult to buy chickens in this Midwestern state. I'm not enthused, but apparently everyone in this state sources their birds from orschlins or TSC anyways so we have to resort to hatchery orders. The chicks I got last time were actually from an accidental over delivery from Hoover's. I wish there were more options, but no one around here seems interested in presenting them. Let's hope my luck turns around.

I am ready to strangle the old bat Momma hen. She disappeared one me. Gone without a trace, was beginning to fear she was dead. She showed back up this morning and she's not alone. She has 10, yes you read that right, 10 brand new chicks with her. I have no clue where she chose to hatch them at, I've searched this place all over, even sat for hours scouring the hillside with binoculars and not a glimpse. This bat will be the death of me, she clearly didn't get the memo no more chicks.
View attachment 2722386View attachment 2722387
She is a wiley one and a good hatcher. I mean look at all those chicks! Maybe if you gave her a cell phone you could track her!

I don't think this is still the plan. After buying chicks with unknown histories, my family wants to be sure they are healthy and that we know everything about their medical history. Apparently, it's really difficult to buy chickens in this Midwestern state. I'm not enthused, but apparently everyone in this state sources their birds from orschlins or TSC anyways so we have to resort to hatchery orders. The chicks I got last time were actually from an accidental over delivery from Hoover's. I wish there were more options, but no one around here seems interested in presenting them. Let's hope my luck turns around.
Have you looked for any local poultry clubs? Or check in with 4H. To be honest I haven’t had any issues with our feed store chicks, other than breed specifics (I want heritage, not production hybrids)

I really LOVE the slo-mo videos. And that was a good view of her tongue. What fascinates me more though is how completely focused and targeted they are.
On your hand it just feels like random frenetic 'drumming' - but each piece is chosen with thought and care. And yes, purple is the winner!
That really is the neatest thing to see, how calculated they are when selecting which piece of corn they want along with how hast they make that selection. It is amazing to watch.

Back
Top Bottom