I love this picture of the barred rocks, you've posted it before and please keep posting as often as you like! The looks and poses are perfect, and then the one in the very back is saying something too! :love What a nice bunch.
Not so little Xzit being curious.
E406B463-3EFB-4104-8F2A-1F93DAF04E5B.jpeg

More Slow-Motion Eating

So I set out to get some side view slow motion of Hattie eating so we could see her tongue at work and someone got in my way, twice!

So I switched targets and moved on to Sansa. You can see her tongue at work with the first bite. Sorry I could not get closer. I was having issues balancing the phone.

And yes, Sansa is targeting the purple corn! 😆
Fascinating!

I am ready to strangle the old bat Momma hen. She disappeared one me. Gone without a trace, was beginning to fear she was dead. She showed back up this morning and she's not alone. She has 10, yes you read that right, 10 brand new chicks with her. I have no clue where she chose to hatch them at, I've searched this place all over, even sat for hours scouring the hillside with binoculars and not a glimpse. This bat will be the death of me, she clearly didn't get the memo no more chicks.
View attachment 2722386View attachment 2722387
Everyone loves a surprise! :lau :ya

The issue is we just don’t know yet… from the sounds of it (and yes, I missed a bunch) they may be getting some older chicks from the same source as the ones that came and quickly perished of Coccidiosis. So the question is should they just switch over from the breeders Non medicated feed to medicated, or go with a treatment levels be safe.

@BY Bob I just had another thought on Dr Mark telling @MaryJanet to use the medicated feed while treating (aside from the potential Australian medicated feed brand differences etc?) as a vet do you think he may have given her the correct dosage to boost the levels of Amprolium from the therapeutic dose to the treatment dose? I was just recalling popping overto the pharmacy from work for my prescription refill, only to find I was out of refills. Wondering how I would get through the day without them (anti inflammatory for a shoulder RSI) the pharmacist pointed out that I know my dose and there is the over the counter version (turned out much cheaper too) I just needed to basically ignore the maximum daily dose info and take it as though I was at the prescription level until I could get into my Dr again.
He's always precise with respect to dosages, but on this occasion we were speaking hypothetically in case Ivy ever hatches chicks. He probably knows more about the local chick starter feeds than I do.

It sounded like Dr. Mark told her their was non-pathogenic coccidia in the feed. I am certain that @MaryJanet will confirm for us when she gets on tonight.

Now in theory, you could take my post and adjust your therapeutic dose just like you said. Subtract out the final dose from your initial therapeutic and medicate their water accordingly. I would rather not deal with that variable. If they are pretty sick and aren't eating you risk the therapeutic dose being too low.

The problem @Blazinga has is getting older chicks for the same place the coccidia laden ones came from. Not knowing if they have coccidia or not, I would immediately treat like they did. There is no effective downside. Wipe out anything that might be there and instead of the final tapering dose, move them to medicated feed. Then I could rest easy.
I think that's a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom