CRAP… that was what I was worried about. I don’t have any history, confirmation, or test results. Hatchery chicks I’ve brought in have all been vaccinated, but as you remember it was a problem on another local farm. And it is very easily spread. No other birds have symptoms so far, but I did have a couple suspicious deaths in the last batch of meat birds (one I found dead in the “classic” positioning). Fingers crossed 🤞
Fingers crossed for you. Margo’s necropsy looked like there was evidence if a background infection of Marek’s (caps on the nerve endings, I think). I have never seen any symptoms of Mareks except that two-week old chick I got for Cashew had weird, stiff legs. According to the UC Davis necropsy vet/pathologist, while rare, Marek’s can occur in young chicks. Mine are vaccinated, too, but at that age it has not taken effect.

Margo was one of my originals. Interestingly, the hatchery my feed store uses to source chicks doesn’t have brown Leghorns, so they had to have sourced her elsewhere. Nobody has had Mareks symptoms except the chick. But I sure seem to have a lot if health problems in my flock for someone who is super attentive to her birds. My Millie has had a slight limp since she was a pullet, but it presented like an injury and is sometimes undetectable.

:barnieYour barred group is so pretty but I think this one is still my favorite. She just has a waiting to get into trouble expression.
You got that right! She is my second biggest troublemaker, but Beetov-Hen is always number one! (I had to go find her, and bring her back to the coop last night) She wanted to choose her own bedtime!

I am ready to strangle the old bat Momma hen. She disappeared one me. Gone without a trace, was beginning to fear she was dead. She showed back up this morning and she's not alone. She has 10, yes you read that right, 10 brand new chicks with her. I have no clue where she chose to hatch them at, I've searched this place all over, even sat for hours scouring the hillside with binoculars and not a glimpse. This bat will be the death of me, she clearly didn't get the memo no more chicks.
View attachment 2722386View attachment 2722387
No memo is going to change a chicken whose very name is Momma Hen! :lol: :lau:gig

No memo is going to change a chicken whose very name is Momma Hen! :lol: :lau:gig
Technically her name is not Momma, she just earned that since she's always broody. Her actual name is Chicken. I know, original, but at the time she showed up Rosie was huge into How to train your dragons and all the spin off shows. Momma is also her name when i'm not angry at her, she pushes buttons daily when she has chicks attacking. Alot of times her name is old bat or worse.

Back
Top Bottom