That poor blind chicken. I’m at odds as to what to think. Such a lovely bird. 🌹
She has never been much of a cuddler. She is Sammy’s Daughter by a Hyline hen, so more “Production” genetics than I like, one of her siblings also looks to have internal laying issues, and probably won’t be with us this winter. She is starting to look very uncomfortable. My Blind lady on the other hand is doing quite well so far in with the rest of her flock. (I say flock and not tribe here as there isn’t much choice in the matter with this bunch) There are two groups of Layer rescues in with Hawk, and the four of Sammy’s daughters I was hoping to breed with Hawk for the BB X oo crossed to Bb X oo with the Marans dark brown as well.

Speaking of rescues, y’all that know will understand, and if you don’t, you probably don’t want to. The farm got another 6 chickens! 🤦‍♀️ because the 12 POL they have acquired since 2019 are only maybe giving 2-3 eggs a day! (Of course it helps if they have things like nest boxes, feed and water… but I’m just a crazy Citiot still getting 6-8 eggs out of my 10 2018 girls)

I am finally caught up!!

My view while resting my foot after work...
View attachment 2723211
OMG! The other pics never loaded for me… we may have a lot in common but you really didn’t have to emulate that. Yes, broken would likely have been better, healed faster and Oww, I really feel for you! Time to take it way easy, cover yourself with kitties and chooks, and keep that foot up and iced! Ouchie does t even begin to describe that.

I can't let Mrs BY Bob see the lap goat! This is a bad idea.
Trust me, it is… she’s about 45-50 lbs, maybe more, the hooves are 2”x2” and SHARP. I cannot post pics of what they do to your legs when she walks over you, but my thighs are quite black and blue. The bouncing throughout the house is insane. The cats are fed up.

On the other hand while we were juggling the Moderna poke, work, mom, and all the other today fun… said Cats LET THE CHICKENS INTO THE TRAILER! You know how they load their feathers with dirt and shake? Yep. Cecal poops on chairs and floor? Check. Regular poops everywhere? Yes sir! They did clean up all the catfood and spilled goat texture though. And stayed off the bed and counters, thank heavens!

Oh my frick! She’s a lap goat! I love that. Your poor blind girl’s eyes look like photos I’ve seen of ocular Marek’s. Do you know if you have Marek’s in your flock?
CRAP… that was what I was worried about. I don’t have any history, confirmation, or test results. Hatchery chicks I’ve brought in have all been vaccinated, but as you remember it was a problem on another local farm. And it is very easily spread. No other birds have symptoms so far, but I did have a couple suspicious deaths in the last batch of meat birds (one I found dead in the “classic” positioning). Fingers crossed 🤞

She has never been much of a cuddler. She is Sammy’s Daughter by a Hyline hen, so more “Production” genetics than I like, one of her siblings also looks to have internal laying issues, and probably won’t be with us this winter. She is starting to look very uncomfortable. My Blind lady on the other hand is doing quite well so far in with the rest of her flock. (I say flock and not tribe here as there isn’t much choice in the matter with this bunch) There are two groups of Layer rescues in with Hawk, and the four of Sammy’s daughters I was hoping to breed with Hawk for the BB X oo crossed to Bb X oo with the Marans dark brown as well.

Speaking of rescues, y’all that know will understand, and if you don’t, you probably don’t want to. The farm got another 6 chickens! 🤦‍♀️ because the 12 POL they have acquired since 2019 are only maybe giving 2-3 eggs a day! (Of course it helps if they have things like nest boxes, feed and water… but I’m just a crazy Citiot still getting 6-8 eggs out of my 10 2018 girls)
Nooooo! Those poor hens.

Back
Top Bottom