A large round metal covered coop and run. He was worried about predators. Worry no more you stupid jerk! :hit
Yikes that sounds bad. If he didn't double-wall it with insulation between and provide good ventilation and there was sun on it, he made a terrible thing. That was idiotic. I'm so sorry about Canna's daughters. 😢

The caretaker of his birds was careless! I have seen his setup . Looked like a big BBQ coop and run. He’s one of those, who says “they are only chickens “ :hit
I’m a little worried about my friends one coop. Basically no ventilation and he built a “run” out of plexiglass! It’s like a little un-vented greenhouse 🤦‍♀️ Oh, and I sneaked a peek at the new chickens housing on the farm… didn’t see any actual chickens. 4x12’ chain link, the tarps are gone to shreds (still hanging) so it’s covered in super cheap bird netting now. There are still 6-8” gaps at the top corners in places where she threw some slats in to sort of give a wind break, called that a “coop” because there are some thin branches propped up in there for roosting. We have Raccoons and Mink that could tear through into it in seconds… so the new additions might not suffer for too long.

some people should not care for chickens, or any animals for that matter.

I’m a little worried about my friends one coop. Basically no ventilation and he built a “run” out of plexiglass! It’s like a little un-vented greenhouse 🤦‍♀️ Oh, and I sneaked a peek at the new chickens housing on the farm… didn’t see any actual chickens. 4x12’ chain link, the tarps are gone to shreds (still hanging) so it’s covered in super cheap bird netting now. There are still 6-8” gaps at the top corners in places where she threw some slats in to sort of give a wind break, called that a “coop” because there are some thin branches propped up in there for roosting. We have Raccoons and Mink that could tear through into it in seconds… so the new additions might not suffer for too long.

You have every right to worry , but it’s not your fault for that problem. I wish life was better, but it’s not

Kris, I’m not there to actually see the situation. Kinda wish I was!

Good morning everyone. I'm so sorry to hear of some of your troubles with your hens, especially since they are so young. I really feel for the production breeds and those that own them. I do not have production breeds but still some of my girls will give me 5 to 6 eggs a week. Henrietta lays about 8 eggs before she takes her break. Old momma hen, when she is not broody and laying lays 6 days in a row before skipping and she is close to 7 at least. Only 1 of my girls has produced a soft shelled egg, and that was Butter, and it was her 2nd ever egg. I've been thinking, my chickens have access to layer feed, for the most part they ignore it, prefer grass, bugs, whatever they find in the manure pile and for some of them snakes and minnows from the creek. What I do different them most is if I have a broody hen, I do not break her, she either hides, or I intentionally let her set. I know being broody can be hard on the hen, but if I know where she is I see to it that she has fresh water available and food. On average after the chicks hatch *not counting momma hen* they care for them 5 to 6 weeks before they are done. That is a 8 or 9 week break their body gets naturally from egg laying. I wonder if where most of us chicken keepers for many reasons break up that broody we are doing more harm then good to her body. I know many of us can't have roosters, or are at our limits so we have no choice but to break them. I feel though that the broody break, plus the normal break they take through winter and molting helps the hens in the long run in preventing reproduction problems. Now I may be completely wrong on this, but its just my train of thought.
I think you may have a very good point in this! However, as you also understand, not everyone can let a girl sit and hatch… if you don’t have fertile eggs, they may just kill themselves waiting on chicks that just won’t ever happen. Turns out one of my 4 Broodies either did such a crummy job sitting, or had bad luck of the draw in her eggs (but probably a mixture of both) that not a single one was viable after 3 weeks. I swapped out two of my successful girls chicks and she’s happily chicken parenting away none the wiser. Had I not had spare chicks for her I would have to break her, as I can’t let her sit another three weeks!

Kris, I just put all my healthy thriving Chooks to bed. I’m thinking there is a very big difference between pets and just poultry! I know if I ever called my Jaffar “just poultry” ,I’m sure that he would bite me until I died from my wounds. Ps. Here’s a pic of Coco for the night. 0AC92D9D-F68A-478A-84C4-E0E0B290C174.jpeg

Good morning everyone. I'm so sorry to hear of some of your troubles with your hens, especially since they are so young. I really feel for the production breeds and those that own them. I do not have production breeds but still some of my girls will give me 5 to 6 eggs a week. Henrietta lays about 8 eggs before she takes her break. Old momma hen, when she is not broody and laying lays 6 days in a row before skipping and she is close to 7 at least. Only 1 of my girls has produced a soft shelled egg, and that was Butter, and it was her 2nd ever egg. I've been thinking, my chickens have access to layer feed, for the most part they ignore it, prefer grass, bugs, whatever they find in the manure pile and for some of them snakes and minnows from the creek. What I do different them most is if I have a broody hen, I do not break her, she either hides, or I intentionally let her set. I know being broody can be hard on the hen, but if I know where she is I see to it that she has fresh water available and food. On average after the chicks hatch *not counting momma hen* they care for them 5 to 6 weeks before they are done. That is a 8 or 9 week break their body gets naturally from egg laying. I wonder if where most of us chicken keepers for many reasons break up that broody we are doing more harm then good to her body. I know many of us can't have roosters, or are at our limits so we have no choice but to break them. I feel though that the broody break, plus the normal break they take through winter and molting helps the hens in the long run in preventing reproduction problems. Now I may be completely wrong on this, but its just my train of thought.
It sounds very logical to me. Makes sense. And it is more “natural”.

Back
Top Bottom