Good morning Bob and your feathered family “says Jaffar “ 30AE422C-FA80-4CAC-859C-513227002969.jpeg

Good morning :)

Would anyone have any advice on how to keep slug out of the coop. I use the earth clay but they are still coming in. I thought of a metal copper strip but read that this can poison the birds as they are attracted to shiny things. Will try a can of beer later but how to keep the girls out of that is going to be another problem. I don't need raging drunk hens :he
Don't yours eat slugs? Mine love them so when I find them elsewhere I bring them into the coop as a treat.

Yes, those. Are they more convenient to use?
Really young chicks are apparently not strong enough to use horizontal nipple waterers - I can't remember how old they need to be but I vaguely remember 6 weeks. The vertical nipples are OK for baby chicks apparently and next time I get chicks I am going to give that a go as it certainly keeps the water cleaner.
I have a variety of waterers.
- I have a bucket with horizontal nipples in the coop - it ensures there aren't spills in the coop and everyone seems fine with it particularly for a drink before bed. Interestingly I never taught the road-runners to use it, they just picked it up from the other Princesses.
- I have a hanging waterer in the run
- And out in the chicken garden I have a good old fashioned rubber bowl
When it gets really cold in winter I replace the horizontal waterer with a heated open waterer and I remove the bowl because of fear of Maggie getting frost bite in her wattles.
Sorry for such a long reply I got carried away!

So I’m not quite caught up and have had lots going on. In addition to my (mildly) high blood pressure, I’ve had three recent episodes of a crazy, racing, pounding heart. Saw the doc. At her request/recommendation, bought a mobile EKG-at-your-fingertips device, managed to capture some recordings of my racing heart and sent a couple to her. A cardiologist reviewed them and confirmed her suspicions. I have Supraventricular Tachycardia and started on meds tonight. As a bonus, the meds prescribed for the tachycardia should also lower my blood pressure. Woohoo!

Tax
View attachment 2731080
Good news that you have a diagnosis for your tachycardia, I hope your meds work out! Nice picture too!

What are your thoughts on drip drinkers? We've been wondering if they would be cleaner to use.
The Buckeye chicks took to the vertical nipple waterer immediately when I showed it to them. It worked really well, kept the water clean and the brooder dry, and there's no danger of drowning (but that you can overcome with a regular waterer anyway). I put a plate with a paper towel on it right underneath for any drips, so that was easy to keep clean of poop right there and the bottom of the brooder/litter dry.

Do the chicks have a warm but shady spot there to go to at night, and a place to be cooler if they want?

Back
Top Bottom