My goodness! Go more than 24 hours without posting and I end up far behind!

@micstrachan can't say anymore than what had been said, but good to repeat - glad you're taking care of yourself. Also so happy Ruby is trucking along.
@Blazinga so happy for you and lots of fingers crossed for best possible outcomes.
@Marie2020 @featherhead007 you two need your own comedy show 😂
@BY Bob @RoyalChick my girls get underfoot too! I've taken to walking with one arm stretched out in front of me bc they are always hopeful I have a treat (95% of the time, I do not 🤣)
@Cynthia12 nice to see you ❤
I'm forgetting about 20 other things I wanted to comment on 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Naenae did laid a beautiful and healthy egg today. You wouldn't even know this is the same bird that had so many problems a few days ago. 😊😊😊
I may be acting a little superstitious, but I left the infirmary set up in the house just in case.

My goodness! Go more than 24 hours without posting and I end up far behind!

@micstrachan can't say anymore than what had been said, but good to repeat - glad you're taking care of yourself. Also so happy Ruby is trucking along.
@Blazinga so happy for you and lots of fingers crossed for best possible outcomes.
@Marie2020 @featherhead007 you two need your own comedy show 😂
@BY Bob @RoyalChick my girls get underfoot too! I've taken to walking with one arm stretched out in front of me bc they are always hopeful I have a treat (95% of the time, I do not 🤣)
@Cynthia12 nice to see you ❤
I'm forgetting about 20 other things I wanted to comment on 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Naenae did laid a beautiful and healthy egg today. You wouldn't even know this is the same bird that had so many problems a few days ago. 😊😊😊
I may be acting a little superstitious, but I left the infirmary set up in the house just in case.
That's great news!

I became worried about the hens consuming microplastics and zinc, so I hunted around for ceramic water jars. Here's a photo.

But those ones are not safe for chicks.

For chicks, I'd do what @BY Bob did and use a small and shallow tray with marbles in it to prevent accidental drowning.
I love those ceramic jars. I need to start looking for some.

My little cluckers all ready for bed 😍
074671B0-4FFB-45CA-AEB1-594320AD4EDA.jpeg

We have had some nice evenings here recently and I have taken to sitting outside in the chicken garden at the end of the day.
My presence outside definitely causes them to go to bed later - they are all outside foraging away. Then suddenly they all run to bed. I honestly cannot tell what the signal is - nobody calls out that I can hear just suddenly 1-2 of them run in for bed and everyone immediately follows.
Thanks, good to know you think so too, that being out there keeps them foraging longer. There must be a "signal" hen whom everybody keeps an eye on. It seems to be Peanut here so far, even though Hazel actually goes in first. I will keep an eye on that. It would be interesting to find out if your hens do pay attention to the same one or two each evening!

Last edited:
I hold any treats or special foods container out away from me, sometimes waving between sides - wave to one side and I can step forward a bit to the other side, keeping the chickens moving in a bunch so no one hangs back and gets caught in my feet. They want to be right under it! Very cute to see them looking straight up at me, but I don't want to body-check anyone!

Fire up the Way-Back Machine

I am so grateful that Mr. Peabody has been able to fully restore the way-back machine. We are going to do a quick video journey!

Mr. Peabody, set the way-back machine for June 20, 2017

chumma chumma chumma, hufft hufft, falump, chumma chumma chumma, hufft hufft, falump, chumma chumma chumma, hufft hufft, falump

For all of you with a white hen that likes to be camouflaged, The Greatest Hen ever decided to dust bathe in blackest dirt she could find that day. She sure did enjoy herself.

Here is what she looked like afterwards. :eek:
View attachment 2731391

OK Mr. Peabody, enough Dirty Birds. How about some freshly hatched ones. Let's set the way-back for June 20, 2020.

chumma chumma chumma, hufft hufft, falump, chumma chumma chumma, hufft hufft, falump, chumma chumma chumma, hufft hufft, falump

Here is some lovely video. Just so we all remember Sydney as a Mum. :love

OK Mr. Peabody, it was a short trip back but fun nonetheless. Please return us to the present.

I think the way-back is working just fine. We should look at some more trips in the near future.
I love when Mr. Peabody plays with the way back machine!

Back
Top Bottom