That's so hard to deal with! I'll be thinking of you all and sending good thoughts. The separation pangs are terrible when someone home is sick. Thinking logically, what would you do for either of your scenario speculations if you were able to be home? A warm Epsom salts bath? Start a course of antibiotics? A trip to the vet? Or just being company for the girls, as a comfort to them? So for the things that can be done, is there anyone that can try to do these things for Dorothy and Ruby?
I can’t start antibiotics, as I won’t be home to administer them. DH’s birthday is Friday and he wants to do an overnight. The chickens are a huge bone of contention between me and the family as it is.

Both birds are very weak. Dorothy has something (egg?) oozing out the back and did not poop all day. I’m so sad and frustrated. I HATE this.

Dorothy did a course of Enro not too long ago and Ruby was at the vet recently. There might not be much more if anything to do for them.

Someone is certainly exhibiting dominance. You should try to move them to eating someplace that can not be blocked but you already know that.
I will find both of them inside the box in an hour, wanting to go into the house and stay in the chickens room for the night. It happens every night. :idunno I really want them to sleep in the coop with all the others. I tried it once (they only got attacked that night)

The Buckeyes do it and I see them looking up too, watching something. I believe it's a small flying insect, at least I have seen this once or twice when I've seen the insect they're watching, once a small fly and once a gnat. I think that's why their step is very unpredictable, they are tracking the bug. But I've seen them do it when I can't tell what they're tracking. Another clue is they've only done this since Spring or Summer. So if they keep doing it in Winter there would have to be another explanation.
This is very interesting. I must watch closer.

I will find both of them inside the box in an hour, wanting to go into the house and stay in the chickens room for the night. It happens every night. :idunno I really want them to sleep in the coop with all the others. I tried it once (they only got attacked that night)
Move them out at night so they all wake up on the roost together. That can smooth things out for them rather than them being forced to run the gauntlet to roost at night.

Move them out at night so they all wake up on the roost together. That can smooth things out for them rather than them being forced to run the gauntlet to roost at night.
Bob, I don’t know what to say, it was at night. All the others were up perched (I brought them in the box, to the run and left it on the shelf I built) with the box door open. They hopped out and ate more feed. In the morning I found them perched in the corner way far away from the others. Then the mayhem began. :confused:

Bob, I don’t know what to say, it was at night. All the others were up perched (I brought them in the box, to the run and left it on the shelf I built) with the box door open. They hopped out and ate more feed. In the morning I found them perched in the corner way far away from the others. Then the mayhem began. :confused:
I’m going back to check on them now.

I can’t start antibiotics, as I won’t be home to administer them. DH’s birthday is Friday and he wants to do an overnight. The chickens are a huge bone of contention between me and the family as it is.

Both birds are very weak. Dorothy has something (egg?) oozing out the back and did not poop all day. I’m so sad and frustrated. I HATE this.

Dorothy did a course of Enro not too long ago and Ruby was at the vet recently. There might not be much more if anything to do for them.
Oh so sorry. Would it be kinder to euthanize?
I know this is really hard. I wish I could help somehow.
:hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs

I’m giving up. There’s plenty of safe places for the littles to hide tonight.
Ps, I wish I could help with her situation too! :hugs Sad that those beloved hens, are so sick. Good luck, Dorothy and Ruby:fl
Update: I heard Arizona and Dakota screaming at the porch door, the wrong door. Other side of my house (I guess the porch, looked like the other side to them) :barniebut now I don’t have to worry at all about them. (Safely perched in the chickens room.) 😴

Back
Top Bottom