The Time for Construction has Come

With Phyllis' chicks due to ship on Monday, it is time to begin coop construction. I need the coop (for which I still need a name) to be ready for either the chicks to grow in or for Phyllis to raise them in. Either way it has to be ready come Monday.

Pricing lumber is a sobering thing these days. With a 4x8 sheet of plywood going for about $40, this coop build is going to be WAY more expensive than the big coop. I started thinking of what I could recycle to create lumber and help lower the cost.

In my office for years has been an old entertainment center. I was able to disassemble it completely and come up with several good sized pieces of plywood not to mention some crown molding! Especially nice is the glass door which I will turn sideways and use as the primary entrance into the coop!
View attachment 2779243View attachment 2779244

Now I need to calculate the remanded of the lumber I need and head to the store.

Construction will begin tomorrow. 🔨🔨🔨🔨
This is getting exciting! So close now. :wee:hugs

I truly love these two birds though.
:love Arizona and Dakota 83482D97-43F9-4257-A2BC-6869D1DA7282.jpeg

With Phyllis' chicks due to ship on Monday, it is time to begin coop construction. I need the coop (for which I still need a name) to be ready for either the chicks to grow in or for Phyllis to raise them in. Either way it has to be ready come Monday.

Pricing lumber is a sobering thing these days. With a 4x8 sheet of plywood going for about $40, this coop build is going to be WAY more expensive than the big coop. I started thinking of what I could recycle to create lumber and help lower the cost.

In my office for years has been an old entertainment center. I was able to disassemble it completely and come up with several good sized pieces of plywood not to mention some crown molding! Especially nice is the glass door which I will turn sideways and use as the primary entrance into the coop!

Now I need to calculate the remanded of the lumber I need and head to the store.

What a great idea!!

I truly love these two birds though.
:love Arizona and Dakota View attachment 2779305
Do you think that you maybe waited too long to integrate?
Do you think that you could let them all spend time together outside during the day while you supervise... giving treats as a distraction....
I may have missed some of these happenings and you may have already tried this.. but I think with time and perseverance you could get it to work. 🙏🏻

:clap You are such a resourceful guy.

Do you think that you maybe waited too long to integrate?
Do you think that you could let them all spend time together outside during the day while you supervise... giving treats as a distraction....
I may have missed some of these happenings and you may have already tried this.. but I think with time and perseverance you could get it to work. 🙏🏻
I’m not one to just give up. I’m still going to try to get the two to go into the coop at night. But they will not be coming in the house anymore.

I did the right thing!

Hi folks. I still can't catch up right now, as I'm still working and it's DH's birthday, but wanted to pop in to let you know I stopped by the house on the way back to the office and found Ruby sitting in front of her water coop cup drinking from it. :love

I let her out and offered sunflower seeds, baby bird formula and tunafish. She ate some of each. She walked around the kitchen just a little. I cleaned up her feathers a bit with baby wipes, but she needs a proper butt bath this weekend (should not be a problem, as it's hot). She still seems a bit dazed, tired quickly and sat down, and then stood up and put herself back in the carrier. However, overall, she was much better than when I left her and was not so unsteady on her feet (tired, but not falling over). I think tubing fluids helped! I'm so glad. Miss Ruby has a long way to go, but I think she still has a chance, and we all know what a fighter she is.

I think we are celebrating DH tomorrow, not today, so I hope to be able to the girls out a little after work when it's not so hot, including Ruby, and see how she does. I think it will lift her spirits to see her friends and feel the grass beneath her feet.

Since I was unable to ship Dorothy's body off to UC Davis for necropsy, I will give her a proper burial this weekend. She's been in a cooler in the garage, but I'm sure it went warm by the end of yesterday.

Thank you for all your support!

Ooooh, this is so exciting, Bob!

Back
Top Bottom