There's whole string of them. yes russian olives. They're more tree than bush, but highly overgrown, and water hogs. For bushes, I would suggest Siberian pea trees (actually a shrub) the "peas" are 30% protein so they make great forage places for the chooks. unfortunately at the moment, they're on the opposite side of the house from the coop.View attachment 2780853
The far background. The midground is chokeBERRY (not chokecherry) and birds love it too. Sadly it's slowgrowing.
Thanks. Yes I have chokeberry (not cherry) on my list.
I will look up Siberian pea trees. The ‘Siberian’ in the name is encouraging wrt the winters here. I realize I don’t know where you are located. I am in Northern NJ so USDA zone 5-6 depending on shelter.

Thanks. Yes I have chokeberry (not cherry) on my list.
I will look up Siberian pea trees. The ‘Siberian’ in the name is encouraging wrt the winters here. I realize I don’t know where you are located. I am in Northern NJ so USDA zone 5-6 depending on shelter.
I'm in Montana, and the stuff grows VERY well. It's also cold hardy to zone 2 (if I remember correctly). Lilacs are another good one, but the chooks won't get the seed benefits

I'm in Montana, and the stuff grows VERY well. It's also cold hardy to zone 2 (if I remember correctly). Lilacs are another good one, but the chooks won't get the seed benefits
I already planted some honey berries but they are still small enough to need protecting from the Princesses.
I have Butterfly Bush volunteers as well which can get quite substantial.
If I don’t mow the place turns to woods pretty fast - I think I have a small oak tree which is in totally the wrong place for a big tree, but heck the Princesses and I will be long gone before that becomes a problem!

Mama has left the coop for a good dust bath!
20210731_154210.jpg

Back
Top Bottom