Final Cluckle Hut Update for Today

I got back out after the storm and was able to get the sides on the nest box. The storm was a great pressure test for the coop to see if it would leak.leakrom what I can tell the only rain came in through the card board over the nest box frame. So good news there.

I cut one side and then I used it as a stencil for the other.
20210801_202649.jpg

Here are the sides on the nest box and I just tagged a piece plywood on the roof in case it rains again tonight.
20210801_204731.jpg

Utterly Confused by a Tiny Fence

I fenced off this side of the coop to deny the chicks access to the pool. If I leave the side door closed then this should keep them contained.
View attachment 2212809

It has worked well for 2 days. At least for keeping the chicks safe.

It has utterly confused the Aunties.

Apparently, they only know 1 way to enter the coop.

Through the side door that I must keep closed. :he

So first I let Aurora in to lay her egg. No problem. Lays her egg and rejoins the flock.

Then I let Hattie in. She lays her egg. But she does not rejoin the flock.

Why?

Well, she can't get over the tiny fence. That's right. It's too wobbly for her to stand on and she can't figure out how to jump it. :th
20210801_193603.jpg

I know the feeling. They jump/fly up....well, Rusty does. The hens jump to the roost (only 3.5 feet instead of 4.5) then cross on the 2x4 I added so they weren't bashing their wings on the old feed bucket chain.

20210801_193142.jpg

This little wire fence (not even secured on the sides) keeps them off the deck and out of the cat's food. The cat even goes through it, over it, around it in front of them and they can't do it.

I fenced off this side of the coop to deny the chicks access to the pool. If I leave the side door closed then this should keep them contained.
View attachment 2212809

So first I let Aurora in to lay her egg. No problem. Lays her egg and rejoins the flock.

Why?

Well, she can't get over the tiny fence. That's right. It's too wobbly for her to stand on and she can't figure out how to jump it. :th
View attachment 2782443
I know the feeling. They jump/fly up....well, Rusty does. The hens jump to the roost (only 3.5 feet instead of 4.5) then cross on the 2x4 I added so they weren't bashing their wings on the old feed bucket chain.

View attachment 2782445
This little wire fence (not even secured on the sides) keeps them off the deck and out of the cat's food. The cat even goes through it, over it, around it in front of them and they can't do it.

View attachment 2212809

Why?

View attachment 2782443

View attachment 2782445

View attachment 2782443

View attachment 2782445
Nicely done. Clever solution. 👍

Back
Top Bottom