This is fascinating. I had no idea just how important it is for animals, even chickens, to be brought up by their parents!
It is so easy to see with roosters. CCCL related to me that until Stanley passed, Ned had never crowed. Ned appears to handle his duties in the same wonderful way as his father. Ned knew his place and learned how to be a proper rooster from his Dad. Shad used to talk about this at length.

This is why I really want Phyllis to raise these chicks. They will be so much better off with a Mum to show them the ropes.

It's possible that chicks may/can die on the way, right? Good luck! :fl
It is always possible, but last year I got five of my chicks through the mail, and they were all strong and healthy on arrival. I had some pasty butt issues with two of them for a few days, but that was resolved.
They all survived.

A White Leghorn Census

I going a little stir crazy while I am waiting for confirmation on the chicks shipping. So everyone help me out. With the sad passing of Dorothy, outside of @GrandmaDeKorte flock of white leghorns, who else has a white leghorn?

The last I remember seeing Blanche is back in June but I assume she is still with us. Does anyone else have a white leghorn that I am forgetting?
Blanche is alive and well, and enjoying the backyard chicken life.
E8841CB1-D3EA-4296-BC48-06821530E146.jpeg 19088D62-304C-499A-9D86-F489F9147B50.jpeg 08BAF37E-BEB4-4D2E-B4B6-FB1749B833B6.jpeg 33C23ECC-E10F-4FC1-88F9-18A4B1BD3101.jpeg

I spoke too soon

Popped outside to refresh water bowls and observed Naenae. She was walking slow and looked uncomfortable. So I put her in the dining room infirmary. It is darker than outside and she has privacy and in the past it relaxes her so she rests passes her egg issue without naughty sisters bothering her.

Not more than 2 minutes in the infirmary, she passed a whole yolk with no shell and a soft shell egg.

View attachment 2783104
I looked a little more at what she did and look....I've never seen a "mini" shell attached to a whole eggView attachment 2783105

This is interesting as observation, but I wish my little girl wasn't suffering through it.
Oh wow. That can’t be good. No wonder poor Naenae is uncomfortable. :(

I spoke too soon

Popped outside to refresh water bowls and observed Naenae. She was walking slow and looked uncomfortable. So I put her in the dining room infirmary. It is darker than outside and she has privacy and in the past it relaxes her so she rests passes her egg issue without naughty sisters bothering her.

Not more than 2 minutes in the infirmary, she passed a whole yolk with no shell and a soft shell egg.

View attachment 2783104
I looked a little more at what she did and look....I've never seen a "mini" shell attached to a whole eggView attachment 2783105

This is interesting as observation, but I wish my little girl wasn't suffering through it.
Oh Lord - it seems like she is just laying too many eggs for her shell production.
Do you have access to a vet? I wonder if it is something she will 'grow out of' eventually.

Back
Top Bottom