Okay, add frustration to my anxiety. Half my chooks are near the coop (where they should be) the rest are raiding my grape vines on the other side of the property, Jumping as high as five feet to snatch the grapes off. I will let them play, but only until dusk. (I sound like a worried parent with youngsters) :th

I don't think you need to hang up half a cow - a bite-sized chunk would be plenty for the flies!
True! I love the image the half-cow is bringing up! :gig... I'm afraid by us, even a bit of meat scrap in the garbage will bring a bear by in the night, besides coyotes and feral cats and the general raccoon / possums. We don't put anything out until the morning of pickup. Wouldn't one have vultures circling overhead by day?

The other thing is, could encouraging maggot flies to hang around the chickens increase the chances of flystrike?

I may worry too much, sorry.

Was it @Kris5902 who showed pictures of how she raised live mealworms or crickets or something in drawers? I like that idea better.

I will try and capture it - I am on a short trip the next couple of days so will have to wait a bit.
Today there was such a ruckus that both me and the Tradies working on the house came running - I could hear it in my office with doors and windows close and I could hear it - turns out nothing bad was happening they were just yelling because they can.
:th
I know... what is UP with that?! My girls were doing that this morning! Possibly because they were still locked in the run and it was windy, they wanted to get out and find a sheltered spot.

Back
Top Bottom