Anyway, how is everybody? I hope you've all stayed well. I have missed you all and it is my intention to be around a bit more than of late.
I have tried, but trying to do BYC on a mobilephone as I move around proved more than my patience could bear and I was in danger of trashing the phone.
I'm here in Bristol for a while now barring a visit to my elder sister in a few days to get told off for what I taught her chickens last time I ws there. Apparently they now think that they are officially entitled to walnuts and a bit of fish from time to time.
The diet I set for my sisters eldest hen Freya, seems to have worked and she has even decided to lay the occasional egg as a sign of appreciation.
My sister is delighted so perhaps I wont get too much flack for what is apparently my fault and that's the chickens,one in particular thinks she should have house access.

I can't imagine whose fault that could be.:p
At my place the tradies finished off the big chicken run and the hens seem to like it! Sometimes they go in there in preference to roaming the backyard. So, while it's built, it's not yet fox proofed which means the hens roost in their fox proof coop as usual and are in the habit of going back and forth morning and night. It's also not yet sparrow proof and that's what I've mainly been focussed on for the time being.

The hens are healthy and happy. It's coming up to two years since Peggy and Ivy joined Mary and Janet, so it's almost time for another pair of pullets. I've started looking around.

I'm the same as always, working hard and thriving on it :) like ACM, I quite enjoy lockdowns but we've only had two in South Australia, so even if I hated it, it wouldn't be a big deal. The house reno will push forward in a big way soon, with a minor construction project to correct some subsidence of the front veranda.

That's pretty much all I can say except I'm so glad you're here to help out today!

Very good point. Bob, you can do this with the soaked crumble. Make it into a paste and swipe a little into the beak. I personally go for the lower beak, on the side. How about you, Shad?
Yep, lower beak.
But, it may just postpone the inevitable.
I would give Phyliss another try and if no joy there then at that point I would put the chicks out of their misery.
I know how harsh this may seem to many but mother hens won't take care of chicks that are not able to feed themselves on mums call. They wont take care of sick chicks either ime.
If one does manage to keep the chicks alive, there is no certainty that they will be accepted by the rest of the Tribe assuming they make it to adulthood.
Unfortunately part of the resonsibiltiy of chicken keeping is being prepared to kill those that are unlikely to survive without human aid.

At my place the tradies finished off the big chicken run and the hens seem to like it! Sometimes they go in there in preference to roaming the backyard. So, while it's built, it's not yet fox proofed which means the hens roost in their fox proof coop as usual and are in the habit of going back and forth morning and night. It's also not yet sparrow proof and that's what I've mainly been focussed on for the time being.

The hens are healthy and happy. It's coming up to two years since Peggy and Ivy joined Mary and Janet, so it's almost time for another pair of pullets. I've started looking around.

I'm the same as always, working hard and thriving on it :) like ACM, I quite enjoy lockdowns but we've only had two in South Australia, so even if I hated it, it wouldn't be a big deal. The house reno will push forward in a big way soon, with a minor construction project to correct some subsidence of the front veranda.

That's pretty much all I can say except I'm so glad you're here to help out today!
I'm not really helping though unfortunately.:(

Yep, lower beak.
But, it may just postpone the inevitable.
I would give Phyliss another try and if no joy there then at that point I would put the chicks out of their misery.
I know how harsh this may seem to many but mother hens won't take care of chicks that are not able to feed themselves on mums call. They wont take care of sick chicks either ime.
If one does manage to keep the chicks alive, there is no certainty that they will be accepted by the rest of the Tribe assuming they make it to adulthood.
Unfortunately part of the resonsibiltiy of chicken keeping is being prepared to kill those that are unlikely to survive without human aid.
I am not cut out for this 😭

Back
Top Bottom