I would keep some, A small flock, but not the amount I have now (65 ish after culling the extra Roos hatched this year and some of my older girls.) I do use them for meat as well, and generally process 'older' hens at 2.5 years. That said, processing is always difficult for me, and a few special ones I just haven't been able to do....they will live their natural life.
Sorry, everyone...another blast from the past. I'm waaaayyyy behind, I don't know if I'll ever catch up. I'm now at pg. 301...up from 148. (still thousands of pages to read!) :th

That said, I am thoroughly enjoying this thread, and would like to thank you all.:hugs I am continually amazed at the intelligence, knowledge, thoughtfulness, empathy, and, of course, great stories and wonderful pictures.

Last edited:
Sorry, everyone...another blast from the past. I'm waaaayyyy behind, I don't know if I'll every catch up. I'm now at pg. 301...up from 148. (still thousands of pages to read!) :th

That said, I am thoroughly enjoying this thread, and would like to thank you all.:hugs I am continually amazed at the intelligence, knowledge, thoughtfulness, empathy, and, of course, great stories and wonderful pictures.
So is this welcone back? 😊

Chicken Fight

I cannot say what brought it on but Phyllis attacked Sydney yesterday. I am certain the Sydney was surprised at first. I believe that it may have been over the chicks because it occurred while Sydney had her head down looking at them.

There were 3 different battles. It looked like the surprise attack enabled Phyllis to win the first one, the second could be called a draw but Sydney clearly won the third one. Sydney was on full reminder that Phyllis lost the rest of the day.

Perhaps equally interesting was that Aurora, of all hens, took on Lilly's role from the big Hattie Aurora fight and helped to break up the third fight and, I suppose, settle it.

Unfortunately I was surprised every time and got no video.

I figure this was instigated by the presence of the littles. I figure it could be one of these reasons or perhaps a combination?
  • Was it Phyllis saying stay away from them?
  • Was it Phyllis saying, I want to visit them too so quite running me off?
  • Was it Phyllis trying to move up the pecking order before more chickens join the tribe?
It will be interesting to watch them today but to say this was unexpected is an understatement.

I did get this photo after the third fight was over.
View attachment 2836141
Very interesting interaction, Bob! I’m not sure what to make of it.

So is this welcone back?
I just joined BYC about a month ago and found this thread about a week ago. PMed @BY Bob and he said 'write anyway" as I was afraid to respond to posts 'cause I' so far behind!

So, the 'Blast from the past' is me responding to a very old post...as I read it for the first time. I hope that doesn't confuse anyone.:confused:

I just joined BYC about a month ago and found this thread about a week ago. PMed @BY Bob and he said 'write anyway" as I was afraid to respond to posts 'cause I' so far behind!

So, the 'Blast from the past' is me responding to a very old post...as I read it for the first time. I hope that doesn't confuse anyone.:confused:
Gotcha! All good! 😊

Eh, we're used to it :)

Back
Top Bottom