I love this response. There are many reasons to keep chickens and this feels like a responsible way to me. I assume you sell your eggs, right?
Yes, I sell chicken & duck eggs. I love my chooks (and ducks), but honestly, I feel like I am working my full-time job to support them!:lau I feed organic and, as much as possible, soy free feed (soy free organic is ridiculously expensive!) Layers get soy free, chicks & teens get a reduced soy feed) That said, I would be heart-broken if I had to get rid of all of them:hitAnd to think that when I started out, it was for the eggs, and I thought I would hate them:confused:. Turns out that couldn't be farther from the truth!.

Camera Upgrades

I wish I could remember when I bought my Arlo system. Sadly though I started losing cameras a while. That's why I had my first camera with sound. Well this week the entire system under went an upgrade. The new cameras won't work with my original base system so that had to be upgraded first. Then the new cameras added.

What a jump in capabilities. The new cameras have spotlights I can turn on and two way sound. I can talk to the chickens from 100s of miles away. 😆 I believe the spotlight on the new coop cam might get a workout at roosting time. I now have 5 cameras deployed instead of 4 with one of the originals still hanging on. Expect lots of camera footage as I play with my new toys.

In this video you can see the chicks scratch away, then Legertha decided to explore the new camera. They switch the camera to night vision so I switch it back by turning on the spotlight (I have it set very low). What freaks them out most is when I talk to them through the camera. They stop and look up for me to see where I am.

Awww. Look they have tails now as well as head dresses. 🥰
I have never tried the voice thing on the Arlo cameras. You know you can take a still shot remotely just by tapping in the app.

What a lovely looking hen.
She's supposed to be a barred rock, but I think a rooster got into the wrong pen. I suspect she's half barred, half penciled rock. Either way, her markings are cool. She's also the biggest of my pullets...still not ready to start laying, but getting close to Pear in size. Definitely matches Pear's shape.
20210903_202102.jpg
Almost 17 weeks so egg watch starts in about 2 and a half weeks. Nellie is supposed to start laying at 19 weeks, I think, most of the rest at 20 and Twirp at 22.....maybe
20210917_170027.jpg
20210917_170017.jpg
Based upon presence of wattles, Nellie and both sapphires (Splash in pic) will start before Cuckoo, Twirp, and Jessica. Thing is a mystery as the beard and crest cover everything.
20210829_201239.jpg
Storm is 9 weeks behind the rest of course but must have a pic too.
20210912_134327.jpg

Attachments

• 20210917_165931.jpg
    20210917_165931.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 1
Today Ari broke her leg as u already know.but I’m not sure if she did u know she’s not drinking and eating properly. She’s behind growth and is a lot more smaller Theban the others I put her in a sock she seems weak.I’m really worried.Any suggestions?
I don’t think it was obvious to all of us that she really harmed herself from your earlier post. I am so sorry. I don’t know anything about quail but I know bird bones in general are hard to heal. I think you should post on the injuries and illnesses forum and hope someone can help you.
I suspect you will hear that euthanasia will be the kindest option.
I am so sorry for you and little Ari.
:hugs

Edited- I did a bit of research and I am wrong about bird bones - you can splint them and they will mend. More easily than human bones apparently. I know cats heal bone very easily, I obviously misunderstood about birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom