Update on the dog:

Talked with new/old neighbor (kid had graduated, moved out, now back with folks: first I had seen any of them in a while). Dog being cared for by occupant of camper parked in empty "lot" (5 acres) on west side. This dog will chase anything that moves, making it likely culprit (and it was on the patio after the cat a few days after the chickens). Kid was going to talk to occupant (a friend) about the dog. Haven't seen any of the dogs (had seen 2-3) since and the horse trailer (suspect where the dogs stayed when occupant was at work) in about a week. Still being vigilant but I think THAT dog is no longer in the area.

In happier news, part of today's projects....
20210919_152200.jpg
part of dinner : white enchiladas are the final result but making tortillas must come first. Yes, the birds will be getting the scraps too.

Are you familiar with the series from the 1980s? If not, go watch that first. If you have seen it, im curious about your response now.

Tax
View attachment 2837862
I was about 10 years old when we watched the 80s series, I loved it! I’ve seen episodes since and absolutely cringed! :lau Same goes for Knight Rider, Buck Rogers and Automan. Ahh, the 80s! :D

Tax:
0145339F-B690-47C3-B334-288D43EB4E57.jpeg

I liked this post with a "love," meaning sending you love and strength, not that I loved what angst you're going through! Also Love for the update on your flock, and that you reached out. :hugs

I wonder if because chickens are so good at hiding their problems, they appear "easy" to take care of to many people. Then they inexplicably die. I think this is distance flock-raising. Those people throw out some feed and water, collect eggs, and walk away.
But the more one learns, and learns what to look for, or even notices because one is paying attention and spending time with them, the more complex the picture becomes. They are each our children to a lot of us here. This isn't an original thought of course.
My farmer friends - she is really attached to her goats, knows them all as individuals, and thinks the chickens are easy, comparatively. But the chickens are not her thing, nor are they under her care primarily, so she doesn't engage with them at the level her partner does.
Thank you for this. A friend from the emergency forums asked me about the possibility of Marek’s in my flock. This reminded me that it is very likely I have Marek’s in my flock, which could explain why they have so many issues, despite the best feed I can buy, fresh water, good ventilation, as much free range time as I can manage, avian veterinary care and lots of attention. The batch that seems the least robust are the ones raised by Cashew… so they were exposed to the flock before a vaccine would have taken effect. From that batch of four:
1) Happy Cheeks died at two weeks with Marek’s-like symptoms
2) Dorothy stopped making eggshells properly at one year and died a year later
3) Ester starved herself to the point of needing emergency care in her first molt
4) Minnie is starving herself during her first molt, requiring tube feeding AND had a walking deficit for a couple days

Hmmmn… coincidence? It seemed like Cashew did a great job raising them. I’d expect them to be stronger, not weaker. Wishing I had sent Happy Cheeks in for necropsy. Marek’s is very suspect here.

Thank you for this. A friend from the emergency forums asked me about the possibility of Marek’s in my flock. This reminded me that it is very likely I have Marek’s in my flock, which could explain why they have so many issues, despite the best feed I can buy, fresh water, good ventilation, as much free range time as I can manage, avian veterinary care and lots of attention. The batch that seems the least robust are the ones raised by Cashew… so they were exposed to the flock before a vaccine would have taken effect. From that batch of four:
1) Happy Cheeks died at two weeks with Marek’s-like symptoms
2) Dorothy stopped making eggshells properly at one year and died a year later
3) Ester starved herself to the point of needing emergency care in her first molt
4) Minnie is starving herself during her first molt, requiring tube feeding AND had a walking deficit for a couple days

Hmmmn… coincidence? It seemed like Cashew did a great job raising them. I’d expect them to be stronger, not weaker. Wishing I had sent Happy Cheeks in for necropsy. Marek’s is very suspect here.
I thought Mareks had very specific symptoms. Hmmm.

Today Ari broke her leg as u already know.but I’m not sure if she did u know she’s not drinking and eating properly. She’s behind growth and is a lot more smaller Theban the others I put her in a sock she seems weak.I’m really worried.Any suggestions?
I’m very sorry to say this little one is likely to pass without extensive supportive care. But she has a chance for recovery if you can tend to her. Most importantly, she needs heat. You may need to hand feed her. If she were mine, I’d offer her raw egg yolk asap. She is she doing? Did you post in the emergency forum?

Frankly, I feel like you have been somewhat silent as well. Is everything good with you?
Pretty much, just been busy at work with the school term finishing up and snapping back and forward from on-site learning to remote with the kids (3 times back and forth in a term aggghhh) which is exhausting.
Snow has had 2 soft shelled eggs in a week with a good one in between so have dosed their water with calcium supplement, sprinkled shell grit in the run (not sure they are eating it out of the container) and have cut down scraps/treats to be sure they are eating enough feed.
Belle is going strong, her eggs have stayed little so far and almost white so easy to tell who has laid. They may get bigger, they may not. Either way they are yummy, just need 2 for 1 piece of toast 🤭
Monday mugshots from just now 💜
522C10DC-E2AC-4F42-A832-09260452739A.jpeg
1872C342-6B0A-4B0C-A960-C99CCF206D66.jpeg
046FECCA-82B7-46AA-8CBB-8ED02F57C1A9.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom