Yes, had a ..huge... chicken hawk .. that's what we call them, starting his decent upon one of my girls while I was in the run. I didn't see it, walked out of the run just in time. Scared the goody out of both of us. He barely cleared the house next door as he flopped those wings as fast as he could to get out of my way. Once my neighbor stops me in the hall at church. Says, I heard this ruckus out in you yard. Went to see. There was a big ol hawk stuck on top of the chicken wire to you run. Hmm, I thought hawks could see better than that. He must have made a dive from a ways up, got caught in the wire, but got out on it's own.
I have had them sit on top of my run and look down at the ladies. It's scary.

Meet Henry The Second and his hens!
These are all Ex Batts or rescues.
I'll be looking after them along with another person for the forseeable future.
They all live on a large allotment plot about 5 mins walk from my daughters.
I'll get some better pictures up later.
There is a lot of work to do. The start was made this morning when they all got out of their run for the first time together.:celebrate
The first project is to increase the size of their run. There is just about enough grunt left in me to get a fence up and maybe even build a new coop. Negotiations are currently in progress.
I picked Henry The Second up today and a few of his hens. I haven't held a rooster for almost five months!
View attachment 2843499View attachment 2843506View attachment 2843507
This is amazing, Shad! Highlight of my day for sure....and probably the highlight of many of your days 😊

Storm at 8 weeks
20210923_174623.jpg
20210923_174731.jpg
20210923_174733.jpg
20210923_174741.jpg

Hello. Quick update on my flock/tribe health drama.

• Sunshine is doing great, but HATES being medicated. I’m using little bread balls now since aspirating her. She is still not laying and Flash stopped, too. I think only Flo is laying at the moment, as we’re only getting an egg a day.

• Roxy seems fine, but has yellow urates. She’s had them in the past, too.

• Ruby is HUGELY bloated and breathing hard. I invited her in for a baby bird formula treat spiked with aloe detox and aspirin. She ate a good amount and got some sunflower seeds (my birds like them without the shell) for a treat. She foraged a bit afterward. ❤️

• Minnie is still ataxic, but seems to have good energy and a great mood. She’s become a great little tubing patient. Here she is after work tonight!

Something has been bugging me a couple of days so in case it's helpful I'll mention it. Does Minnie's gaze look normal to you, as in normal for her? Would Marek's cause her to have trouble with her eyes, since it's a nerve thing? There's something about the look in her eyes that's not right, it's distracted, off. It struck me when I first saw this, and it's hard to explain or see now when I'm looking at the video again, esp knowing she doesn't feel well. I had just been out with the Buckeyes here when I watched this the first time, so the difference struck me. Minnie isn't quite up to the "bright eyes and bushy tails" intense laser-focused eyes they have. Maybe it's just her individual look. But it seemed to me somehow slightly "out of it." I know she's not feeling well, so maybe it's just that? 😟 Have you noticed a change?

Just darling. 🥰
I'm loving the blue color. Her full blood sister also has the black head (I've been told) and has the mother's barring, with the blue tone. The sister is @ 3 months, so should be moulting to adult colors, and is getting a few darker breast feathers. With the father being a blue (splash) laced red wyandotte , I'm surprised that both have the single comb from mom not the rose comb from dad. I'm also a bit surprised there's no red bleeding into the blue. Still another moult, so color can change, but 😍😍😍😍😍

Back
Top Bottom