Last edited:
Thanks, yes, am aware of the potential for parasite infections, but I'm not sure there's anything I can do about preventing it if I let them peck at the ground, except keep their forage area moving. Unless I keep them in a sterile environment, and even that would be hard to maintain, there is no way they aren't going to encounter a slug. We are on a hillside where there are spring seeps here and there, forest and field on all sides....bugs of all kinds abound.

That reminds me that two days ago while sitting with them someone I don't remember who started running in circles, I realized she was after a fly that was buzzing her, I could see it - either a small deerfly or housefly, it was fast - it took off in a straight line and she chased it, then it doubled back and she ran in a circle again and then bit the air. Fly taken care of.
I wish mine would eat flies. I've got neighbors with horses and others with cows. Flies are everywhere, even in winter, yet they won't eat them, nor will they eat the box elder bugs. at least they will eat the abundant grasshoppers, and some of the ants.

Perhaps a happy medium is to fill a long planter box with soil topped with straw and build the nest box cover over that? 🤔

The more I think about it, the more I like that idea. ☺️
I'm mulling ideas on this. I could take out the existing nest boxes and replace with more roost space. Could also make the nest sites more baby accessible...🤔 this is going to require serious thought....nest needs to be inside coop for security, on the "ground" so no roost above it, nor roosts above feed/water station....alternative: turn carport into a coop with everything there...then must line inside for protection from the metal siding. Makes sense to put a door in from garage so can access there/heat via wood stove in the garage....screen door....car exhaust....LOTS more mulling of ideas.

It's me too. Kinda like the "safe" place so you can find the important item when you need it, never to find it again....I swear the Room of Requirement is actually the Room of Permanent Vanishing.
It’s also like : the time you throw something away, that you are sure you will never use again. Then you need it within the next week. (happens every time with me) :confused: Oh well.

I hope you are able to figure it out soon. It must be so stressful for you not being able to help her or know what to do. I hate when I feel helpless to 'fix' one of my girls.:hugs:hugs
Thank you! We have been feeling quite helpless. She's very special to us. We're doing all we can; I hope it's enough. It seems like she's doing better today!

That's alright :hugs Thank you though!

Have any of your chickens ever had sour crop?
So sorry I am late to this conversation and will read ahead later. Years ago, Ruby had a doughy crop (not necessarrily super sour) and I successfully treated it by administering clotrimazole vaginal cream orally. Acidified copper sulfate in the water is also supposed to work. You have to be careful with dosing and it has to be the only water source.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom