Logically an entire breed, regardless of color, should have the same basic characteristics: free range, cold/heat hardy, broody, etc. It would make sense for the all black or all white to NOT be considered good free range due to easier for predators to spot. Color variety/non extreme end of spectrum colors would blend better whether predator sees in color or monochrome. The lacing of both the gold and silver would HELP with the camouflage. Columbian wyandotte would be easier to spot and black or white easier still. That being said, Silver has the ability to play ghost and simply vanish in spite of the snowy white. I hope she manages to teach the rest of the tribe that skill in the years to come.
I love wyandottes and would love to breed them when I get a place of my own someday. I'm particularly fond of gold lace, blue laced red, and the nonstandard large fowl buff Columbian. Can you tell I have a preference for warm colors? 😆

I love wyandottes and would love to breed them when I get a place of my own someday. I'm particularly fond of gold lace, blue laced red, and the nonstandard large fowl buff Columbian. Can you tell I have a preference for warm colors? 😆
Silver is such a sweetheart but insistent on being queen. Buster (silver laced) was a bit of a brat....until I wallopped him with bigger wings (my shawl), but Silver had taken to hiding from/avoiding him. Jessica I my first experience with the golden. As a breed, they're all great.

Oh thank you - I needed that!
They seem to be looking more similar to each other now - or do I detect a slight difference in color?
They are beyond adorable - though I did notice a bit of feather pulling going on!

I need to go back out now and do more on my drainage ditch. Maggie and Diana have figured out that they can jump down into the ditch and follow it out under the fence to the big wide world.
The first time they did that (about an hour ago) they very sensibly took a look around, jumped back in the ditch and reversed direction and ran back to safety. But this means I need to finish my drainage project ASAP. I have some down time between calls so I have to get digging!
Clever hens!

Back
Top Bottom