Hey Everyone. It's been a while since I've last been here šŸ˜† I'm slowly getting caught up with everyones posts.

Do y'all remember the two chicks I rescued? The first in May and the second in July? They're all grown up now!

Kiko (Rescued in May)
View attachment 2849668

Gizmo (Rescued in July)
View attachment 2849672

Kiko & Gizmo
View attachment 2849670

Clearly Gizmo is a rooster. He started crowing a few weeks ago and makes a GREAT alarm clock! šŸ¤£

Okay, going to continue catching up on this thread!
Gorgeous! And well done on you!

I'd pursue this kind of thing if lives were at stake. But someone's poor effort at describing chicken behaviour doesn't grab much of my time. That said, I have very very little free time. If I weren't working and I was bored, I might offer to rewrite the breed description for them.
I like your thought process there. The KISS principle . I always forget that part.

I am sorry to bore everyone with the figs, but I found this really interesting from a chicken behavior perspective.
Maggie jackhammered her way into the unripe fig while Minnie watched closely. Closely enough that she managed to get at least one bite of the inside of Maggie's fig.
Not 5 mins later I heard this banging and it was little Minnie trying it out for herself on another unripe fig. I really think she watched and learned from Maggie!
Amazing.
Not boring! Excellent chicken observations...both by Minnie and you šŸ˜

It is coming fast enough. Life has thrown me a curve and I will not be home for the several days. This will delay completion of the Cluckle Hut and their movement out. As well as I will lose time with them.

My son in law fractured his tibia in the surf out on the outer banks in NC. His leg is immobilized and non weight bearing. I am now helping to get him back home to Detroit. That's a journey of nearly 1,000 miles. We completed 4 hours yesterday. While my daughter tends to him, I will be driving.

I will be an infrequent poster while we drive. Please behave yourselves.
You're a good one, Bob!
Wishing you safety and good recovery time for son in law

Did anyone here try this? Does it actually work?
This from the Smithsonian Magazine

Hereā€™s how you do it:
All you have to do is hold the chicken's head down against the ground, and draw a straight line using a stick, a finger, chalk or whatever.
The line should start at the beak and extend straight outward in front of the chicken. If done properly, the chicken -or rooster- will be put into a state of trance and lie still for anywhere between 30 seconds to 30 minutes! To de-hypnotize the chicken just clap your hands or give it a gentle push. It may take a few tries to awaken the bird.

Tonic immobility is what researchers call "a fear-potentiated responseā€ to being restrained. In other words, the chicken (or any other animal that exhibits this response) is convinced that it is going to die and goes into a kind of cationic state. According to Beredimas, farmers have known about this trick at least since 1646, when Athanasius Kircher published "Mirabile Experimentum de Imaginatione Gallinae.ā€ The reaction seems to be most commonly reported in domesticated birds like chickens and quail, but other species seem to demonstrate tonic immobility as well. One study from 1928 looked at the response in lizards. Another watched the brains of rabbits during movement, rest, sleep and tonic immobility.

Here is the full article: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/can-you-hypnotize-chicken-180949940/

Did anyone here try this? Does it actually work?
Been there done that with Coco today she only wanted daddy and me time this afternoon until my roo started calling for her:th 9B27E656-6C87-4D55-9B4C-228C0DB1B161.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom