Belle update.
She’s breaking my heart! Put her on a roost last night, got her out of the nest box this morning and shut off the coop.
Just had to open it for Snow to lay and then of course…
58C354F7-D116-4D37-88E1-CDCF94BFB050.jpeg

🥰

My poor baby girl, I feel so dreadful. I’ve left her in there until Snow is finished then I’ll collect the egg and get her out again.
She sat up on my shoulder for a bit prior to this when I squatted in the run to chat, I told her I’m sorry but she just can’t be a mumma right now 🥺

I have been outwitted by a chicken.
The plan last night was to grab a sample of Minnie’s diarrhea by placing a piece of cardboard where she roosts.
This morning I head out with my baggie to collect and drive to the vet.
She left nothing but a feather!
She must have moved in the night but I didn’t catch that on camera and nor can I work out where she moved to.
I will try again tonight.
She does still have diarrhea but maybe a bit less bad. Her comb doesn’t seem that much paler than Dotty’s - here they both are - first Minnie then Dotty. Do you agree?
She ate Kefir, rice and beef liver and she looks bright eyed to me. In the last two photos her tail is down but she is alert and she then went to bathe and her tail went back up.
I am still worried so if any of you spot anything in the photos or have suggestions let me know!
View attachment 2866999View attachment 2867000View attachment 2867001View attachment 2867002View attachment 2867003
Her expression, her eye, looks like she feels a little off, or subdued, to me. But hard to say without knowing her better. :hugs

Her expression, her eye, looks like she feels a little off, or subdued, to me. But hard to say without knowing her better. :hugs
Yes, I think she is a bit subdued. But she is molting. So I don't know.
I have set up poop traps under her again tonight and I think they are positioned so she can't out maneuver me tonight.

Belle update.
She’s breaking my heart! Put her on a roost last night, got her out of the nest box this morning and shut off the coop.
Just had to open it for Snow to lay and then of course…
View attachment 2867191
🥰

My poor baby girl, I feel so dreadful. I’ve left her in there until Snow is finished then I’ll collect the egg and get her out again.
She sat up on my shoulder for a bit prior to this when I squatted in the run to chat, I told her I’m sorry but she just can’t be a mumma right now 🥺
Well everyone jump on me if this is wrong, but is it possible to end her broodiness early by trying to keep or get her belly cool? So taking her out won't help unless she can't sit and make her belly warm anywhere else? This is why people let them sit but on a towel-covered ice pack, or ice cubes. Or take them for a daily (or 2x daily) cool belly soak in a tub. Or (I like this least) put them in a small cage with a little roost and no nest material, preferably placed with everyone out during the day, in the coop at night?
Or why not let her sit, as long as she takes care of herself and eats, poops and bathes every other day or so? Please everyone explain to me what you do, thanks!

Well everyone jump on me if this is wrong, but is it possible to end her broodiness early by trying to keep or get her belly cool? So taking her out won't help unless she can't sit and make her belly warm anywhere else? This is why people let them sit but on a towel-covered ice pack, or ice cubes. Or take them for a daily (or 2x daily) cool belly soak in a tub. Or (I like this least) put them in a small cage with a little roost and no nest material, preferably placed with everyone out during the day, in the coop at night?
Or why not let her sit, as long as she takes care of herself and eats, poops and bathes every other day or so? Please everyone explain to me what you do, thanks!
I have no experience but am keen to learn in case I need to handle that situation. What I have read is that the theory is that when they are cooled underneath they sort of realize the egg cannot be fertile because they are cold and so they give up.

Thanks for the input ☺️
It’s a cold 13C here so I was hoping being out in the yard mixed with the cool wind that it might help without bathing or putting ice under her. She’s young so I’m hoping she’s not too determined 😅
She has come out with Snow so that’s a good sign. I’m trying to learn on the hop haha
I really can’t let her sit because I foresee issues when Snow needs to lay (that’s the only nest box) or thought I could make one up with a milk crate in the plastic cubby in the run she could claim if she really wants to keep it up 🤔

It's nice to be fancied.:p
Most of the roosters i've known have tried it on with their mothers first. If you've been cuddling them and giving them treats then as far as they are concerend you are near enough to mum and you'll do.:D
Treacle ended up with a leather boot fetish. He did get over it eventually and decided proper hens were his best bet.
Yes he's been cuddled and pampered and petted since before Holly decided she was done with them so I can see him thinking of me as a 2nd mother. It also was apparently not a 1 time thing either, he tried it again this evening when I reached down to pick him up to place him on the roost. Hopefully, if I keep jerking my hand away he'll get the message and stop. We had the farrier out to shoe the horses this afternoon so I was outside for a solid 3 hours and half the time he spent beside me or in my lap. I kept watching him and waiting for him to try it again but he didn't. So when it was roosting time I relaxed my guard a little and once again I was caught by surprise. I'll be ready tomorrow night and will pick him up a little different so maybe he wont try it. As long as this is not a sign of future people aggression as embarrassing as it may be I'll work around it and hopefully he stops.

Yes he's been cuddled and pampered and petted since before Holly decided she was done with them so I can see him thinking of me as a 2nd mother. It also was apparently not a 1 time thing either, he tried it again this evening when I reached down to pick him up to place him on the roost. Hopefully, if I keep jerking my hand away he'll get the message and stop. We had the farrier out to shoe the horses this afternoon so I was outside for a solid 3 hours and half the time he spent beside me or in my lap. I kept watching him and waiting for him to try it again but he didn't. So when it was roosting time I relaxed my guard a little and once again I was caught by surprise. I'll be ready tomorrow night and will pick him up a little different so maybe he wont try it. As long as this is not a sign of future people aggression as embarrassing as it may be I'll work around it and hopefully he stops.
Sounds like it is more a sign of future embarrassment than aggression.
Sorry, I just keep laughing.
:lau

Back
Top Bottom