RC, I’m sorry I have not been following closely enough on this. I do not like her stance. It looks like laying or poopy discomfort. What is her laying and molting status? Can you feel her over for a couple things? Specifically, check how prominent her keel bone us compared to her sister. Also check her fluffy butt for bloatedness. You can also compare this to her sister. For how many days has this been going on? Do you know how her poops are looking?
She is not laying and neither is her sister.
She has had watery diarrhea for two days. She is molting.
She is eating and drinking, and she is foraging.
But she is more subdued than normal and is off roosting on her own.
I am trying to get a poo sample to the vet. I can try and get her an appointment too.

I’m sorry. I had to do this with Little Mill. It’s heartbreaking and feels unnatural to break them, but sometimes it must be done. And for the record, she wanted to kill the chicks I broke down and got her. Point being, don’t feel too bad; she may not have made a good mother, anyway!
Is little Mill your speckled?

She is not laying and neither is her sister.
She has had watery diarrhea for two days. She is molting.
She is eating and drinking, and she is foraging.
But she is more subdued than normal and is off roosting on her own.
I am trying to get a poo sample to the vet. I can try and get her an appointment too.
Well, molting can do that to them in my experience. I’m glad she’s foraging. Suggestion: pull her aside for private feedings. I’ve had hens foraging like crazy, but not actually consuming anything. My molters can get shy around the flock and not assert themselves to eat. But if I pull them aside to eat in peace, they’ll often actually consume something. If you do the private feedings, you might have to experiment with what gets her excited to eat. Molting or sick birds can get very picky.

Well here’s a first!
2723A0FC-736B-4BBF-82A8-D943C64DE831.jpeg

I brought Flash in for some crop work and she tried to roost on the table! See that big ol’ crop on a tiny hen? She’s back out in the coop with her sisters now.

Well, molting can do that to them in my experience. I’m glad she’s foraging. Suggestion: pull her aside for private feedings. I’ve had hens foraging like crazy, but not actually consuming anything. My molters can get shy around the flock and not assert themselves to eat. But if I pull them aside to eat in peace, they’ll often actually consume something. If you do the private feedings, you might have to experiment with what gets her excited to eat. Molting or sick birds can get very picky.
I will do that. She is bottom of the pecking order so a bit diffident but she got a fair bit of beef liver with rice and kefir today and I have enough food stations she can eat pellets in peace. I think she is eating OK but no harm in giving her extra.
I really hope she picks up.

Back
Top Bottom