It was over 80°F, 27°C. That will be the last day of that kind of heat for some time (6 months or more). The rain has set in now and the high today will be 75°F (24°C) and 64°F (18°C) tomorrow.

Fall is finally arriving.
It’s in the 80’s here today, too! A couple girls are slightly panting, but they’re mostly sticking to cooler areas.

She doesn't look like she is on her last legs but they can go down hill fast so I am mentally prepared.
Her poo is nothing to look at - water with some urates.
What has me more concerned is she keeps needing to have a rest - whereas normally I think she is busy busy. Also she is eating - but not like the ravenous dinosaur that they normally are. Mostly my chickens try to give the impression that I starve them and fall on any food like they have no idea where their next meal might come from - she is definitely eating but 'delicately'.
I examined her last night and didn't find anything amiss and will do so again during the day today and tonight.
I have dropped off the poo at my local vet and have an appointment with an avian vet on Monday.
I will take some video of how she is behaving during the day.
Just add here some hugs and to note this sounds just like Hazel, eating very little, very cautious and wary, resting a lot, though foraging pretty well, and now she is coming back as she finishes her molt, acting better but still easily moved off food. Hazel used to be very aggressive, a hogging, shouldering-in, no holds-barred sewing-machine eater. Haven't seen that Hazel in weeks. Now Butters is exploding feathers, and every preen takes out fluff. She too has become cautious, stands away, and looks unhappy like Minnie, she is beginning to take a lot of rests too. :hugs :hugs

Last edited:
Happy Saturday, peeps! (pun intended!)
It’s an absolutely GLORIOUS day! Also, Minnie had one little nugget left in her crop. Coconut oil, fluid and massage broke it up. I saw her work hard to get out a fibrous poop later, so I hope thst was it!

And… drumroll, please… Flash’s crop FINALLY emptied! This one was a lot of work. I won’t go into details again, as some of it comes with significant risk. In the late morning, she was acting unwell, and I saw her really struggling to poop.

I ran inside for something, and once I got back, she had moved and was chipper. I didn’t find the poop plug, but I’m hoping it was the last of what had been backing her up all week.

I hope this means I get to enjoy my girls without nursing them for awhile. And, though they are subdued from the heat, they are getting two full days of free range time. I just hope they don’t overindulge on the roughage.

Oh dear - poor Minnie is definitely off today. I got a poo sample and am desperately trying to find an avian vet for an appointment (the guy I saw with Maggie has no appointments but will call me).
I have found one vet who can see her on Monday but requires a $50 non-refundable deposit to make the appointment - I have never heard of such a thing!
I am thinking I will do that - even if it is too late for Minnie I could get a wellness check on someone else and probably good to get to know an avian vet within semi-reasonable driving distance.
Dropping poo off at my regular vet - maybe results will be back before Monday.
Why did I decide to keep chickens again? Why? They are so much stress and anxiety.
Minnie today.
View attachment 2867779View attachment 2867780
She looks like she doesn’t feel well, but it might not be as bad as you think. In my experience, which isn’t as much as some others, when they’re going to die really quickly, they are really, really down. Mine have laid low and started to spread their wings. In your case, Minnie’s tail is up, and aside from her closed eyes and head down, her body language looks good to me. Without varying her diet too terribly much, I would offer her some support treats. Scrambled egg might be a good one.

As you all know, there are a few times with Ruby where I was sure it was the end. She would stay in the coop not moving for a full day or two. Then she would suddenly make a turn for the better. I really don’t think Minnie is on her last legs. It’s good that you’re keeping an eye on her, though, and searching for a vet appointment.

It's up to you but your plan idea would be my inclination, to give it a shot, if I were in your place. Although I agree with most of what @Shadrach says, I'm with @RoyalChick on this one philosophically. The situation with Phyllis, actually with all chicken-keeping, is not a natural one in the first place, in so many ways. You are the chicken mama- daddy, and controller of the FB Acres universe. Because of the Hut and the two new littles, Phyllis doesn't necessarily have to lie any more in the bed that was made for her before. You can offer her a different bed, show her by moving her to it that this place is Approved Housing too, and it comes with two young residents who respect her. I don't see this action as terribly damaging if it doesn't have the result you are hoping for after a week. In the end, they will decide, and maybe it will be better for Phyllis.
This. I take Shad's point but @BY Bob doesn't have acreas & acreas. He has a suburban backyard & 2 small coops & a hen who is something of an outsider who he wants to give a more friendly society. I personally think if he wants that it is going to require some intervention ~ but I am probably the worst person to talk about this situation as my mad lot get along beautifully & I've never had to deal with something like this so I've been able to let my girls work things out because they do so peacably. :idunno

Henry sleeps outside. He has for a couple of years. His favourites take turns to roost with him.:confused:
PA150524.JPG

This. I take Shad's point but @BY Bob doesn't have acreas & acreas. He has a suburban backyard & 2 small coops & a hen who is something of an outsider who he wants to give a more friendly society. I personally think if he wants that it is going to require some intervention ~ but I am probably the worst person to talk about this situation as my mad lot get along beautifully & I've never had to deal with something like this so I've been able to let my girls work things out because they do so peacably. :idunno
Bob did ask, so I've said my bit. I just hope whatever happens it works out for everyonne.

Bob did ask, so I've said my bit. I just hope whatever happens it works out for everyonne.
Agreed. We've disagreed before so we'll survive this one too :D~ & yes he asked so we're all sticking our oars in his pond. 🤣 In the end he will decide what's best for his situation. I have :fl because his lot are like nothing I've ever experienced when it comes to getting along with each other. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom