I think Fret is a great name for one of Shad's chooks!

He's really good at choosing names that suit the hen.
I know! @ Shadrach is amazing at that. I just couldn't resist being a goof because Fret always seems to be at the site of a recently excavated something! (cavernous dust bath, excavated worm farm, etc.!) in the pics of late.

Thank you everyone for your moral support and practical suggestions for me and Minnie.
My evening check revealed a full crop - quite hard, but I compared it to Diana's crop and hers is similarly like a rock. And although she didn't eat as energetically as everyone else, I did see her eat some cabbage leaves and some stuff she dug up in yard.
I will check in the morning to make sure she emptied her crop.
Much to her disgust I gave her a good feel all over - I don't feel a swollen abdomen or anything egg-like near her vent (I didn't stick a finger in just felt around underneath) and she doesn't feel malnourished - there is definitely flesh on her bones.
However her comb is even more shriveled down and she still doesn't seem right.
I did not manage to witness her poo at all today which may just be happenstance but is what made me wonder if she had a stuck egg gumming up the works. If she was completely blocked I suspect she would be sicker, so I am hoping that it was just I didn't catch her in the act.
I rigged up a poop board under her solo roost so I can examine what she produces in the morning, but of course just my luck it now looks like she is going to roost with everyone else tonight, so I might have to sneak out in the dead of night with a big strip of cardboard!
She thanked me for all this attention by covering me in discarded feathers!
I hope she feels better soon.
:fl

Edited to include an update
I went out to put a poop board under Minnie and she answered the poop question while I was there by letting loose an inch from my head. Completely clear liquid. I am so worried.

Last edited:
Also just to add info for you - this morning there was no super-loose poo in the poop tray. I'm still watching but everything with Hazel seems to be improving. So if this continues, then the diarrhea/loose poo is somehow related to the molt. She was drinking enough to compensate, or her drinking was causing it. Can't say (chicken/egg conundrum ;) )
So glad to hear (and makes me optimistic about Minnie - she is also drinking a lot).

Bob did ask, so I've said my bit. I just hope whatever happens it works out for everyonne.
I think your experience, knowledge and basic wisdom in these things is invaluable, so please continue to offer them. I agree with your opinions on a lot of things actually, and you do a good job of explaining why, what & where your thoughts come from, giving the context for your observations and instructions. Thank you for your bit.

Also just to add info for you - this morning there was no super-loose poo in the poop tray. I'm still watching but everything with Hazel seems to be improving. So if this continues, then the diarrhea/loose poo is somehow related to the molt. She was drinking enough to compensate, or her drinking was causing it. Can't say (chicken/egg conundrum ;) )
Good news there ☺️

I have not found anything like that here in the US. Or at least not in the North East.

:(
I found this link: https://www.facebook.com/rescuehen/
Battery Hens Rescue Org., USA. It is to their FB page, but I'm not on facebook, and don't know all the in's and outs, so didn't try to 'explore' their page. In other words, no knowledge about the quality of the organization, just that it exists.

Back
Top Bottom